First quote advice

Guest Heavy351

Guest Heavy351

Hello everyone!

I am an IG glass installer in PA who has an opportunity to quote tint for a restaurant here in Pittsburgh. Job entails removal of old grey or smoke tint and reapplication (lotsa scratches tears and wrinkles)

We have been installing insulated units in apartments for over 10 years and I am trying to decide if I want to do this or not.

On the one hand tinting could be a nice addition to the business, on the other I have not done this on flat glass before (did an OK job on my cars back in the late 90's)

Not sure how to quote this, customer is looking reduce the glare/heat through side windows and entry foyer... my online research has installed costs something between x-xx$ per foot installed but should that be with removal also?

Window units are 5/8 tempered insulated within aluminum curtain wall and seals are good. Existing tint has been there at least 7 years.

4 pcs 25.5 x 79.25

2 pcs 30 x 75.25

1 big 91.5 x 63.5

What would you guys do?

Thanks,

Chris

#rwcglass#@#alltel.net# (remove # from address)

Welcome to the forum.

I'd contact an experienced flat glass professional and maybe refer the job to him/her. This is something you do not want to monkey around with if you don't know what you are doing.

Maybe you will be able to contact a professional near you through this forum. :rollin

Guest Heavy351
Welcome to the forum.

I'd contact an experienced flat glass professional and maybe refer the job to him/her. This is something you do not want to monkey around with if you don't know what you are doing.

Maybe you will be able to contact a professional near you through this forum. :rollin

Thats what the email address is for... The 91" window does worry me....

Job is in Cranberry (30 Min north of Pittsburgh)

Guest darkdan

Sub it out to a tinter. Establish a relationship with him.

Heck, I send more work to my glass guy than the glass guy sends me work. Every time I tint a house or a car when I do mobile work I find a broken window or a failed seal on a IGU to send him the lead to replace it.

Find a few local tinters and check them out ( sort of interview). Offer to send them this job for a commission (10 - 15%) and any other work that comes your way. Also work the angle DarkDan mentioned, having them sendyou glass work. I get referrals all the time, and pay 10% of the job. This works out to good money for you, for just one phone call. Tinting is very labor intensive, which is why most glass shops sub it out. And with it being a strip and replace, this is extremely labor intensive. Pass it on, take the commission and start a profitable relationship. GOOD LUCK

Guest tintguysteveo

I have been doing vehicles for over 10yrs now and Im currently getting into doing flat glass. Im in Washington Pa , 30miles south of Pittsburgh. If you would like, mabye we could work something out. If you want to talk more about it I can give you my number.

Archived