roll downs and technique

when cutting the sides of the roll downs, do you always bump it a little forward to prevent light gaps on the sides? I know there are cars this is necessary. however, wondering if anyone does this on most or all vehicles as a habit. I've had a hard time with the back, top corner having a little film laying too close to the edge or not enough and a light gap on a few models. is this a feel thing that comes with more experience on more models? or is there a step or trick I'm missing? thanks in advance.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
when cutting the sides of the roll downs, do you always bump it a little forward to prevent light gaps on the sides? I know there are cars this is necessary. however, wondering if anyone does this on most or all vehicles as a habit. I've had a hard time with the back, top corner having a little film laying too close to the edge or not enough and a light gap on a few models. is this a feel thing that comes with more experience on more models? or is there a step or trick I'm missing? thanks in advance.

I usually cut my top, and on some trucks for example, follow the curve down to the vertical edge, pull the film away a little bit from the top and side so it doesn't get pinched, roll the window up, then use a sharpie to mark the molding edge. I then look on the inside, because all are different in the amount of gap, then on my peel board, I plus the edge up to accomadate what ever amount is need to cover. I find that an 1/8" plus on each edge is an acurate average on allot of vehicles. :beer

I usually cut my top, and on some trucks for example, follow the curve down to the vertical edge, pull the film away a little bit from the top and side so it doesn't get pinched, roll the window up, then use a sharpie to mark the molding edge. I then look on the inside, because all are different in the amount of gap, then on my peel board, I plus the edge up to accomadate what ever amount is need to cover. I find that an 1/8" plus on each edge is an acurate average on allot of vehicles. :rollin

exactly the answer I was looking for. thank you. I tinted my xterra fronts trying a new film out and kept bumping it forward... seemed like a couple of inches and still got a light gap on the front side when I cracked the window and the back top corner was too close to the edge. that thing drove me nuts. may have been over thinking it but I could have had an anxiety attack with that thing. I'll try the sharpie technique and give it an 1/8" on each side. thanks.

Guest willie

I usually cut my top, and on some trucks for example, follow the curve down to the vertical edge, pull the film away a little bit from the top and side so it doesn't get pinched, roll the window up, then use a sharpie to mark the molding edge. I then look on the inside, because all are different in the amount of gap, then on my peel board, I plus the edge up to accomadate what ever amount is need to cover. I find that an 1/8" plus on each edge is an acurate average on allot of vehicles. :gasp

exactly the answer I was looking for. thank you. I tinted my xterra fronts trying a new film out and kept bumping it forward... seemed like a couple of inches and still got a light gap on the front side when I cracked the window and the back top corner was too close to the edge. that thing drove me nuts. may have been over thinking it but I could have had an anxiety attack with that thing. I'll try the sharpie technique and give it an 1/8" on each side. thanks.

Make sure you check the way each window rolls down. Alot of them shift one way or another the last few inches :rollin

I usually cut my top, and on some trucks for example, follow the curve down to the vertical edge, pull the film away a little bit from the top and side so it doesn't get pinched, roll the window up, then use a sharpie to mark the molding edge. I then look on the inside, because all are different in the amount of gap, then on my peel board, I plus the edge up to accomadate what ever amount is need to cover. I find that an 1/8" plus on each edge is an acurate average on allot of vehicles. :gasp

Make sure you check the way each window rolls down. Alot of them shift one way or another the last few inches :rollin

I usually do that with tape. is it better to tape the back or front side... or both?

Guest willie

I usually do that with tape. is it better to tape the back or front side... or both?

If I'm in doubt I would do both :gasp

:gasp especially allot of older gm's, and honda accord's with worn out window regulators, for ex.

Guest Crackz

if you can see the inner track molding like on the new cherokees you dont not have to ver cut if the inner track moldings are hidden to the out side view then you need to over size :rollin

Archived