roll downs and technique

Guest mntintguy

I only make 1 cut on a car or trucks roll down window. With the window rolled all the way up I lay an over-sized piece of film on the glass covering the top, bottom, front and back. I then use a yellow wax pencil to mark the film at the front, back and bottom, basically drawing the window edge to the film. I then lift the bottom edge, carefully roll down the window exposing the top edge and cut the top edge of the film off. I take the leftover piece over to my glass work table and cut the front, back and bottom to whatever length I want depending on how much room there is to tuck it in all around. What I have found is that it keeps the film from getting pinched and kinked and also keeps from possible cutting of gaskets. I do this with 2 pieces of film at a time to get both sides cut at the same time. :rollin:gasp

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I only make 1 cut on a car or trucks roll down window. With the window rolled all the way up I lay an over-sized piece of film on the glass covering the top, bottom, front and back. I then use a yellow wax pencil to mark the film at the front, back and bottom, basically drawing the window edge to the film. I then lift the bottom edge, carefully roll down the window exposing the top edge and cut the top edge of the film off. I take the leftover piece over to my glass work table and cut the front, back and bottom to whatever length I want depending on how much room there is to tuck it in all around. What I have found is that it keeps the film from getting pinched and kinked and also keeps from possible cutting of gaskets. I do this with 2 pieces of film at a time to get both sides cut at the same time. :rollin:gasp

Thats how I do it, your's sounded better :gasp

I'm fairly new to this too... Generally I mark the edges on the outside with tape (front and back edges of the window, and in some cases high and low too). Then I cut the top edge, and as was said earlier on some windows, especially some trucks (I.e. last style of GM's) trim down the side a bit till I can't go further. Then roll up the window, mark the front and back either with a silver Sharpie or if I don't have one around I lightly mark the liner with the dull side of my Olfa. Throw it on the trimming board, make all my cuts (sometimes on vehicles with a little more room under the gaskets I'll add 1/16th or 1/8th of an inch to be sure). Then when applying the film, just make sure you line up with the tape and it's hidden, no matter how messed up it seems while the window's part way down, it'll work out when it's rolled up. I find the most important step out of this *for me* was the tape to make sure it all lines up, as soon as I remembered to do that, the gap issues vanished. This is a long and slow way but it saves me from screwing up film and if you double cut windows then it's not that bad. Once I'm more experienced and develop more 'feel' I'll start figuring out short cuts. Good luck! :rollin

I only make 1 cut on a car or trucks roll down window. With the window rolled all the way up I lay an over-sized piece of film on the glass covering the top, bottom, front and back. I then use a yellow wax pencil to mark the film at the front, back and bottom, basically drawing the window edge to the film. I then lift the bottom edge, carefully roll down the window exposing the top edge and cut the top edge of the film off. I take the leftover piece over to my glass work table and cut the front, back and bottom to whatever length I want depending on how much room there is to tuck it in all around. What I have found is that it keeps the film from getting pinched and kinked and also keeps from possible cutting of gaskets. I do this with 2 pieces of film at a time to get both sides cut at the same time. :gasp:lol2

That's how I'm doing to start doing it now. :rollin

Guest mntintguy
I only make 1 cut on a car or trucks roll down window. With the window rolled all the way up I lay an over-sized piece of film on the glass covering the top, bottom, front and back. I then use a yellow wax pencil to mark the film at the front, back and bottom, basically drawing the window edge to the film. I then lift the bottom edge, carefully roll down the window exposing the top edge and cut the top edge of the film off. I take the leftover piece over to my glass work table and cut the front, back and bottom to whatever length I want depending on how much room there is to tuck it in all around. What I have found is that it keeps the film from getting pinched and kinked and also keeps from possible cutting of gaskets. I do this with 2 pieces of film at a time to get both sides cut at the same time. :rollin:lol2

Thats how I do it, your's sounded better :lol

It really works well for me. :gasp Nice, quick and easy way to cut 2 pieces of film. :gasp

I only make 1 cut on a car or trucks roll down window. With the window rolled all the way up I lay an over-sized piece of film on the glass covering the top, bottom, front and back. I then use a yellow wax pencil to mark the film at the front, back and bottom, basically drawing the window edge to the film. I then lift the bottom edge, carefully roll down the window exposing the top edge and cut the top edge of the film off. I take the leftover piece over to my glass work table and cut the front, back and bottom to whatever length I want depending on how much room there is to tuck it in all around. What I have found is that it keeps the film from getting pinched and kinked and also keeps from possible cutting of gaskets. I do this with 2 pieces of film at a time to get both sides cut at the same time. :rollin:lol2

Thats how I do it, your's sounded better :lol

It really works well for me. :gasp Nice, quick and easy way to cut 2 pieces of film. :gasp

You're a genius... compared to me :lol I'm going to try that tomorrow. This is why I love this place... always learn a better way to do things.

I only make 1 cut on a car or trucks roll down window. With the window rolled all the way up I lay an over-sized piece of film on the glass covering the top, bottom, front and back. I then use a yellow wax pencil to mark the film at the front, back and bottom, basically drawing the window edge to the film. I then lift the bottom edge, carefully roll down the window exposing the top edge and cut the top edge of the film off. I take the leftover piece over to my glass work table and cut the front, back and bottom to whatever length I want depending on how much room there is to tuck it in all around. What I have found is that it keeps the film from getting pinched and kinked and also keeps from possible cutting of gaskets. I do this with 2 pieces of film at a time to get both sides cut at the same time. :lol:lol

It really works well for me. :gasp Nice, quick and easy way to cut 2 pieces of film. :lol

You're a genius... compared to me :lol I'm going to try that tomorrow. This is why I love this place... always learn a better way to do things.

:lol2 except I dont use a silver sharpie, just an old black one, because I'm a cheap scape :rollin

Guest mntintguy
I only make 1 cut on a car or trucks roll down window. With the window rolled all the way up I lay an over-sized piece of film on the glass covering the top, bottom, front and back. I then use a yellow wax pencil to mark the film at the front, back and bottom, basically drawing the window edge to the film. I then lift the bottom edge, carefully roll down the window exposing the top edge and cut the top edge of the film off. I take the leftover piece over to my glass work table and cut the front, back and bottom to whatever length I want depending on how much room there is to tuck it in all around. What I have found is that it keeps the film from getting pinched and kinked and also keeps from possible cutting of gaskets. I do this with 2 pieces of film at a time to get both sides cut at the same time. :lol:gasp

It really works well for me. :lol Nice, quick and easy way to cut 2 pieces of film. :lol2

Thats just a lot of years hanging films and talking out loud in such a great forum to do so. Also maybe good enough for a Tip of the Week medal. Havent had a medal in some time now. lol :rollin:lol:lol

why wouldn't you use factory edge for the bottom? :gasp

why wouldn't you use factory edge for the bottom? :lol2

I think that if you do use the factory edge for the bottom, you're cutting off a fair bit of film at the top, which you might need, especially in our case, if we screw up the top the cut along the edge. Just because there usually isn't that much excess to play with on a narrower roll :gasp

Archived