Help Wanted!

Guest richardswindowfilm

Guest richardswindowfilm

Our company is in the Lehigh Valley (PA) and we're struggling to find a good installer that will actually show up! Everytime we get someone qualifed they flake out! We do commercial, residential and automotive, so we need someone who can do it all - consistantly. We've only been in the business 3 years, so maybe we have unrealistic expectations - but shouldn't I be able to schedule installations with my customers and KEEP those appointments? I'm assuming I'm doing something wrong here - ANY advice is GREATLY appreciated. We can sell this - just can't install it!

As a little background, we we're a high-end dealer selling mostly Huper Optik. We install film within a 1 hour radius of the store, and tint cars at our shop by appointment only. We focus on the details - the whole tarp, bootie, clean-up program that we apply to our other businesses. Appearance and professionalism is everything. And I know you're thinking to yourself that we drive installers away because we're picky - but that's not the case! The filmers just don't show up for their 1st or 2nd job with us - and we never hear from them again! We pay our installers more than anyone else in our area, have high-end customers who regularly tip, and provide shirts, equipement and training - I'm really at a loss as to why I can't keep a filmer here!

HELP!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

one thing I can tell you is I have been in the business for 23 years and tinters seem to have a reputation of being lazy and premadonnas,how ever alot of businesses have unrealistic expectations of tinters.when you find a tinter see what he needs tell him what you need and see if you get meet in the middle. :thumb

find an existing tint shop to refer business to. If you CAN NOT install the tint then you should not be selling it.

I will say it is very hard to be succsellful in the tint business if you are not a tinter yourself :thumb

Guest JUSTIN
find an existing tint shop to refer business to. If you CAN NOT install the tint then you should not be selling it.

Perhaps they do tint...they just need help with the overload of demand. Also, some really good tinters are like artists, and artists who have great artistic skills don't always have great management skills to run and operate the business end of the business, that is where non tinters help on the business side of things. Not to mention, not everyone likes or enjoys owning a business, some folks would rather be employed by a business rather than deal with all the headaches that come with owning a business. I say keep looking keep advertising that you need help, and one day you will find the employee that is great for your business. It took us over 2 years to find an auto installer. Until then, maybe refer the work to another business. Good luck :thumb

Guest JUSTIN
Our company is in the Lehigh Valley (PA) ............ We can sell this - just can't install it!

Does it not say "can't install"????

I saw that too, but I guess I just interopretated it differently as they were overloaded, not just sales people selling tint without them installing it. That is just the way it sounded to me. :thumb

Guest richardswindowfilm
Our company is in the Lehigh Valley (PA) ............ We can sell this - just can't install it!

Does it not say "can't install"????

I saw that too, but I guess I just interopretated it differently as they were overloaded, not just sales people selling tint without them installing it. That is just the way it sounded to me. :thumb

OK - it's not that we don't know how to install - we're just a small company. My father owns it and my brother is our salesman (I run the office and handle everything else from customer service to ordering). They CAN both install, but they need to be selling and managing our other businesses (we got into film because we sell blinds and shades and consumers were asking about film for high or odd shaped windows). We researched different films, got trained and started filming. My filmer fell off a ladder over 4 months ago and I don't think she'll be back . . ever. So we've been going through a string of big talkers who promised great work, but they never stayed long enough for us to SEE it. The problem is - we keep getting leads for film from previous customers and referrals and I can't install it in a timely manner. We're not advertising film until we have a steady filmer, but of course we're selling tons of film inthe meantime!

In this case I go back to the "refer it" to another tint shop. Make some off of it and let them sell blinds for you. Both of you win on this and you don't have to worry about "training" someone and losing or the hopeless ones you have been finding....

Archived