Help Wanted!

Guest richardswindowfilm

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Move your business and customers closer to me and I'll work for ya. :thumb

I do agree with what Mr. P said - ask what they want... tell them what you want.. and meet in the middle.

I've worked for a number of shops, and they all do things their own way. Which is fine.. but there are little things that each of them do that I don't personally like.. and I could see if I ever were to work for them as a full time employee, those things would get rather old after a short time and I think I'd end up leaving.

Of course, I'm also used to doing things my way being a solo shop......

-R

Guest JUSTIN
Our company is in the Lehigh Valley (PA) ............ We can sell this - just can't install it!

Does it not say "can't install"????

I saw that too, but I guess I just interopretated it differently as they were overloaded, not just sales people selling tint without them installing it. That is just the way it sounded to me. :thumb

OK - it's not that we don't know how to install - we're just a small company. My father owns it and my brother is our salesman (I run the office and handle everything else from customer service to ordering). They CAN both install, but they need to be selling and managing our other businesses (we got into film because we sell blinds and shades and consumers were asking about film for high or odd shaped windows). We researched different films, got trained and started filming. My filmer fell off a ladder over 4 months ago and I don't think she'll be back . . ever. So we've been going through a string of big talkers who promised great work, but they never stayed long enough for us to SEE it. The problem is - we keep getting leads for film from previous customers and referrals and I can't install it in a timely manner. We're not advertising film until we have a steady filmer, but of course we're selling tons of film inthe meantime!

I have to agree with LilDetails on this one, refer the work out to another reputable window tinting business in your area.

Guest richardswindowfilm

I wish I could partner with a reputable tint shop, the problem is - there isn't one! There's not a whole lot of film being done in the Lehigh Valley. That's why we got into it! There are some car washes and one-man-shows, but they're not interested. Plus, I do flat glass too - in $500+ homes and store fronts. I need someone who can be there when they agree to do a job. If I'm off the mark here, if no one schedules appointments and they do it whenever it works for them with no notice to the customer - then I want to strive to be different. I have a showroom and I do in-home consultations. We add film to 50% of our window covering sales! I have an advertising agency, 3 different websites and do 1.3 million a year in total sales. I have overhead and employees to worry about. But all I'm asking from a filmer is that he shows up when he says he will, and he does clean work. It's a sub or part-time position - not 9-5. And we can work around anyone's schedule, but we have to have a schedule. That's it. Is that too much to request? I could live with only being able to schedule a few days of the month for a filmer - as long as he shows up on those few days he said he would. Seriously - I work with sub contractors and designers - they show up!

Move your business and customers closer to me and I'll work for ya. :thumb

I do agree with what Mr. P said - ask what they want... tell them what you want.. and meet in the middle.

I've worked for a number of shops, and they all do things their own way. Which is fine.. but there are little things that each of them do that I don't personally like.. and I could see if I ever were to work for them as a full time employee, those things would get rather old after a short time and I think I'd end up leaving.

Of course, I'm also used to doing things my way being a solo shop......

-R

yeah, one thing I thought early on is not put all your eggs in one basket. which is why you chose to add tinting to your blinds biz. however, I also learned that it may be best to pic something you're good at and stick with it and push it hard. refer that tint out. you won't lose $ as a the lucky tint shop will most likely return with some blinds work for you from time to time. its a win/win. after a chain of missed appointements, word will get out to your clientel and you'll not only lose the tinting customer, but, possibly the blinds customers too. folks won't specify that you show up to install blinds but not tint. they'll just say that you don't show up. actually, what I would probably do if you can tint... cherry pick the jobs you want and send the over flow to another shop. :hmmm

Guest General Sun Shield
In this case I go back to the "refer it" to another tint shop. Make some off of it and let them sell blinds for you. Both of you win on this and you don't have to worry about "training" someone and losing or the hopeless ones you have been finding....

:thumb

Sub it out :hmmm Im sure there are a few shops in your area that will take on subbed jobs,but do not expect them to do it for nothing!

Guest richardswindowfilm

Well . . . thanks I guess. Even experienced guys don't have all the answers. I'll keep trying to find the right sub. - who knows - maybe a reputable film shop will start up here! If anyone is looking for a change of scenery - I can make you lots of $$$$!

if you do 1.3 million in sales why th heck would you worry with having a parttime tinter? :thumb send it down the road.period.

When I read the first post, I had a few ideas but I wanted to wait and see if there was additional information

Problem number one, part time help is not worth a quarter when you are searching for experienced help. Seems you are spending more time searching for part time when that energy can be placed on creating new business for a full time employee.

My suggestion would be to quickly develope your flat glass business and have a full time installer. There are many ways to do it especially since you have volume business.

Well . . . thanks I guess. Even experienced guys don't have all the answers. I'll keep trying to find the right sub. - who knows - maybe a reputable film shop will start up here! If anyone is looking for a change of scenery - I can make you lots of $$$$!

trust me as an experience shop owner that has sit on the stool installing film everyday for 22 years....if there was an answer to your question...He'd be working for me and I'd be answering the phone and counting the money.I've trained at least 10 of my competitors.Now its me ,my wife and a couple computers. You might try robotint3000. :olfa seriously...good luck. :thumb

Archived