Help Wanted!

Guest richardswindowfilm

Guest richardswindowfilm
if you do 1.3 million in sales why th heck would you worry with having a parttime tinter? :thumb send it down the road.period.

When I read the first post, I had a few ideas but I wanted to wait and see if there was additional information

Problem number one, part time help is not worth a quarter when you are searching for experienced help. Seems you are spending more time searching for part time when that energy can be placed on creating new business for a full time employee.

My suggestion would be to quickly develope your flat glass business and have a full time installer. There are many ways to do it especially since you have volume business.

That's what I want to do - but I can't go balls out crazy selling film without the installer to install! I had a full time installer, but when she got hurt I stopped advertising film and only did the jobs I had to to appease previous customers. After interviewing and trying out a few people who showed up one day and were gone the next, we thought maybe we should re-evaluate the film business. Maybe it was a side thing, and not the money maker we thought it could be. I could keep a filmer working every day - if I could find a filmer. It's a real cyclical thing I have going on here. I'll just keep pluging away. I have too much invested in film to drop it - I'll just have to lay low until I find the right person who sees the potential in this market and wants to work 5 days a week. (You'd be surprised at how hard it is to find a full time filmer in my market!) I appreciate your advice - guess I'll try to snag a full-time guy.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
if you do 1.3 million in sales why th heck would you worry with having a parttime tinter? :poop send it down the road.period.

:poop why get into this business :olfa:thumb

Well . . . thanks I guess. Even experienced guys don't have all the answers. I'll keep trying to find the right sub. - who knows - maybe a reputable film shop will start up here! If anyone is looking for a change of scenery - I can make you lots of $$$$!

trust me as an experience shop owner that has sit on the stool installing film everyday for 22 years....if there was an answer to your question...He'd be working for me and I'd be answering the phone and counting the money.I've trained at least 10 of my competitors.Now its me ,my wife and a couple computers. You might try robotint3000. :poop seriously...good luck. :thumb

you've got that right :thumb ,

sounds like you need to look on here, I see people all the time posting asking for work and will travel, also, you posted that you have allot to offer, maybe there is some vibe about you guys that's throwing the tinters off, not that they aren't just lazy and dont know :olfa

sounds to me that if you are paying good money, someone will jump on it. Problem is, people who are good, show up on time, and arent believers in modern chemistry, are probably working for themselves. Like the others said, sub it out. Contact shops out of your area, you may get lucky, especially if the economy keeps getting worse, but you are too far for me. :hmmm

dang, if you can pay good enough, want to pay for a round trip plane ticket, can work it out to be a week or so out of every month, then HOOK ME UP. I have a guy here that I could bring along if the money is right that would be tinting better than most after a couple jobs......so 2 guys that could slam some tint for you?

If he was willing to move I could see him being a guy for you.....but I don't think he is ready to move away from here.

keep looking. I would modify the search and look for just a flatglass guy. drop the cars and focus on your residential possibilities. its hard to find a reliable tinter and even harder to find one who does auto and flat. in the meantime you could sub the work out, but that's not a longterm solution.

Guest Thetintcenter
find an existing tint shop to refer business to. If you CAN NOT install the tint then you should not be selling it.

He didn't say he CANT. He needs help because he's BUSY. Let's stay on subject!

Guest Thetintcenter
Tint shops should be tint shops not blind companys :thumb send the work out or find a newbe and train like you want. They are not as big headed as some tinters. The right person is key!:thumb

Then why do Tint Shops go to blind company's looking for tint work?

keep looking. I would modify the search and look for just a flatglass guy. drop the cars and focus on your residential possibilities.

Since you are in the window covering and blind business, it makes more sense.

Guest richardswindowfilm

I appreciate all the suggestions. If I can't hook up with a auto guy - guess I'll just drop it for now. To tell you the truth - I didn't want to do auto in the first place! I got ropped into it by my film rep. - No one in my area does automotive Huper Optik - so we dabbled. Word spreads fast, and at that time we had a great tint guy, so it flourished. THEN, the tint guy disappeared, re-appeared and worked for a few jobs, disappeared for months, re-appeared and did 1 job, and I haven't heard from him since. He loved the $, saw the opportunity, but just couldn't keep it together. So I'll stop auto.

As I said earlier, my flat filmer got hurt and isn't coming back, but now that we know how great this film is, how it so naturally compliments other products we sell, I can't drop it. We love it - our customers love it - I just have to find someone to install so my brother & father can sell. Sounds like my best bet is grabbing some bright kid and training him. A difficult solution at best with our limited staff, but I do see the benefit. I'll go in that direction.

A couple of tips. NEVER let yourself get roped by your rep. YOU own the shop and YOU decide what you will do. Your rep stops in for 10 mins a month or so, and leaves. Your left to pick up the pieces.

Contact Crywolfe on here. He is in PA and may be able to help you out. I would suggest doing what I do. I take referals from all sorts of businesses (as you stated, youare blinds and drapes) and pay a 10% commission for all sold referals. This way you make 10% for making a phonecall. 60 seconds and you make good money.

Stay away from the automotive. find a local shop who do cars, and refer all to them. Contact them and tell them you will refer all your cars for a commission.

If your brother and father are tto bsy to install, you probaly will continue to be in this situation forever. Bringing in a 'kid' to train usually means you train him and he will leave to start his own deal or work for someone else at one point in time. Without good supervision, most kids will use what you've given them to become their own boss or move on. You will need to pay big $$$ to keep someone like this, as youhave seen so far. A local in my area ahsto pay their installers $30-45 an hour to keep them in house. $10-15/hour will not keep an installer happy enough, especially once they figure out how much you get on some jobs. Going the sub route, since this isnt your main point of business, is the smartest direction at this time. :thumb

Good Luck

Archived