Help Wanted!

Guest richardswindowfilm

It may be the fact you are a blind shop that hasn't been in the film business very long that keeps good installers away (good as in reliable, punctual, and highly skilled). That's a big risk for someone to take. For example: A good tinter likes what you offer in pay and benefits, but as any good tinter will notice, you make most of your money from blinds. Therefore as soon as you find the film industry too much trouble for the money, your closing down that side of your company. Then he/she is left looking for another job in the winter (if a tint shop closes down it will most likely be in the winter) when no one is hiring. :thumb That would certainly hold me back. If your really serious just keep doing what you can, and once a good tinter notices you've been around for a while, and you have a rep on the film side, he/she will come calling.

If that makes any sense?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest richardswindowfilm
A couple of tips. NEVER let yourself get roped by your rep. YOU own the shop and YOU decide what you will do. Your rep stops in for 10 mins a month or so, and leaves. Your left to pick up the pieces.

Contact Crywolfe on here. He is in PA and may be able to help you out. I would suggest doing what I do. I take referals from all sorts of businesses (as you stated, youare blinds and drapes) and pay a 10% commission for all sold referals. This way you make 10% for making a phonecall. 60 seconds and you make good money.

Stay away from the automotive. find a local shop who do cars, and refer all to them. Contact them and tell them you will refer all your cars for a commission.

If your brother and father are tto bsy to install, you probaly will continue to be in this situation forever. Bringing in a 'kid' to train usually means you train him and he will leave to start his own deal or work for someone else at one point in time. Without good supervision, most kids will use what you've given them to become their own boss or move on. You will need to pay big $$$ to keep someone like this, as youhave seen so far. A local in my area ahsto pay their installers $30-45 an hour to keep them in house. $10-15/hour will not keep an installer happy enough, especially once they figure out how much you get on some jobs. Going the sub route, since this isnt your main point of business, is the smartest direction at this time. :thumb

Good Luck

Yeah - I've tried that guy - he's the last one who "disappeared." Thanks though. The problem I've been having IS with subs. They promise great work & reliability and then don't show up. I can't do business like that. If I could find a reliable sub I'd be thrilled! I can't - that's why I'm asking for other options.

I've been in business a long time - even though it hasn't been film this whole time - I know that part of doing business is investing in employees that will leave you. That's just the way it is. It's the price of doing business. Guys who sell film on their own are a whole different animal - they're not competion - they're a whole different game. I've never sold on price - I've always sold quality and customer service. Yeah - I do fewer jobs, but the jobs I do are more profitable.

Thanks for the suggestions - just wish I could do it!

In my defense, I did communicate with you stating that I had a BUSY schedule. I do apologize for not being able to make it, and handling the situation the right way, but I just couldnt drive 60 miles (one way)to come and do 40 ft, or even 100 ft for that matter. Again, I apologize, but my interest lies in bigger and better things. Good Luck in your search.

Guest Dave88

We've got a dozen plus guys that work there ass off and show up.

Here's how we did it.

1. Look for eagerness to please in the interview - Do they care about answering your questions. We give them a lonnnngg application to fill out. Not because I won't ask those questions in the interview, but largely just to see if there willing to do it.

2. Check references. This does work. If he was someone elses problem it can easily be avoided.

3. Ask if there were any other jobs not listed on the resume. Ideally there were none. Guys who don't put everything down, usually have something to hide. I consider your job history your credit rating when it comes to employability.

4. Pay attention to what common characteristics your best guys have. For us we decided that they need to be young enough that the ammount we can pay them motivates them. And then to pay them in a way that motivates them. Some sort of bonus system is key.

5. Track your drivers. If tardiness is a major driver of your profitability then you should track it. We have all our guys on a score board that tracks what matters to us. Nobody likes to be last.

6. Give cash awards for guys who are kicking ass, and decide on a threshold where they will recieve that award.

Hope that helps some.

Guest thatsnappyguy

yea I find these problems with employees in alot of industries. hard to find good work. u can pay someone alot more money than anyother place would, but a loser has no price. they will never change.

but a loser has no price. they will never change.

True that. It works both ways though. I've been employed by lousy employers, that would nickel and dime you on everything, be hard to find on pay-day, would want to pay "half now half later", would constantly make empty promises, and my personal favorite 1099 you. :rollin e

Guest thatsnappyguy

well I have gotten stiffed in the past like this a few time. those instances have trained me to deal with the employers since them. basically I feel they need me alot more than the other way around. I could go work anywhere and be treated well without dealing with that BS. They lay some rules down and so do I. if my needs arent met.....lata! and maybe thats why some cant keep employees. we know we could get better at other places. I have left places in the middle of the day and never called back. those are the ppl that never deserved a reason b/c they suck that bad at running a shop.

as a flatglass sub, all too often we hear from shops that state they have ALOT of work, only to get there and do minmial work everyday until they are caught up and leaving you without. Then when you leave you get a bad referral because you obviously need work and they have no more until maybe two weeks when they have "lots of work coming through." As installers, our reputation is over run by a shop who doesnt even know how to hang film, but has the knowledge only to use the phone or keyboard to defame you. Its a never ending and losing battle.. IMO.. But there are installers that deserve the defamation to voice the opposite side of the coin. Not to sound negative, but only speaking the truth!!! :rollin peace out

Archived