Quarter Glass Dilemma

Guest poorguy

Guest poorguy

I've got a 1995 Chevy Caprice sedan that I want to replace the driver's side quarter glass on and I was blown away at the estimates I've gotten for that- upwards of 500 dollars! Here I was assuming it'd be much cheaper than say a windshield at 200 but alas not! Apparently more work is involved here. It's an old vehicle and the window retails for more than the car is worth at this point.

My question is,can I get this done any cheaper. I can probably get the part from a salvage yard but what's it look like and can I even put it in?

If not,I'm still concerned about the vehicle's security as I cannot afford much at this point,so is there an alternative here? I've been told I could rig something out of a tough material and use that as a replacement window.

Ideas? Experiences?

the thing is that glass is $495 before tax. you can ask the glass companies how much they would charge just to install it, then search the junk yards for the window. most junkyards would probably sell that glass for $50, and the install should be around $100

Guest poorguy
the thing is that glass is $495 before tax. you can ask the glass companies how much they would charge just to install it, then search the junk yards for the window. most junkyards would probably sell that glass for $50, and the install should be around $100

Wait,the same glass that's 495 new would only be 50 at a yard? I think I heard something like that awhile back,giving me the original impression of the low price.

Thats a mistake most ppl make. "I locked my keys in the car...hmmm...lets see. The windshield is $200....so surely this tiny glass is only going to cost me $50-75 if I break it out to unlock the car" :thumb :thumb

Thats a mistake most ppl make. "I locked my keys in the car...hmmm...lets see. The windshield is $200....so surely this tiny glass is only going to cost me $50-75 if I break it out to unlock the car" :thumb :thumb

Call a lock out guy or tow truck.. Cheaper yet! :thumb No need to break anything especially the 1/4 glass, they are alway quite pricey. Better off breaking a roll down :nope:thumb

Archived