Mustang convertible top installation....

Guest kramster

Guest kramster

Whats the average cost for an installation on a 96 mustang?...just the top cover. Anyone know a good shop in San Diego area?

Guest sewing_guy

Price depends on A) Stayfast top or Sailcloth (stayfast canvas is usually $250 or so more than the sailcloth vinyl) B) Shop purchased top vs. owner supplied top. We charge a Customer Supplied Material fee that is $21 more than regular shop rate, C) Does it need new pads and cables D) Condition of the frame. Has it been damaged and needs realigned?

A very general price that I shoot to people over the phone is about $500-$600 for a top only recovering. Customers are informed that all work done at our shop is billed strictly Labor Hours/Material, and the estimated price is not guarantted. That is when the rear curtain stays in place. If this is the original top on a 96, very very carefully inspect the rear curtain and consider replacing it at the same time. That is old for a glass curtain. If it's repairing a relatively new top, then there should be less problem with color matching to the curtain, and the top only would work.

Keep in mind that these are Illinois prices (non Chicago area), and California is higher on just about everything.

Archived