Tinting behind OEM

Guest scooter996

Guest scooter996

If you install a "metalized" film behind oem tinted glass like on a Ford Explorer, Acura MDX or Chevy Tahoe will the end result change the look of the factory tint? Will it appear shiny or have that mirror appearance or color afterwards? I know OEM glass tint doesnt have the same appearance of say a ATR, HP or a Premier film. Its very much blackish/non mirrored in color vs the greenish/mirror look or hue. Any pics for response would be great.

Guest darkdan

I've put full metal 20% films on several trucks and SUVs and it doesn't change the outside appearance except make the windows darker. It does not make them more reflective at all.

Then they open up their door and the inside is a mirror.

Guest scooter996

Thanks for answering the first question but I dont understand the "Then they open up their door and the inside is a mirror." Does that mean it reflects back and forth between the oem tint and the metal tint and makes it harder to see out of? Is it a better option to just apply a standard dyed film? I not sure if that was sarcasm or not. I was waiting for an attachment of a picture of tin foil again.

Guest darkdan

Well if you put a mirror film (full metal) onto the inside of the windows it looks normal from outside. But if you open up the door (so now that window is facing out) you can see what the film normally looks like.

If you use a hybrid/high performance/metalized then it won't have a mirror appearance.

If you'd like an example I can go make one and take a picture.

Guest scooter996

HP and ATR are hybrid/high performance/metalized, correct? I guess the answer is there will be no problem viewing out even with the door ajar. I guess you could say the view will be the same whether theres s.g. hp over the OEM tint or not from the inside out, correct? It will just be darker. Maybe I should say reflective than mirror appearance. Does that describe it better? Is it better to just install a dyed film instead of the HP or ATR? I do like the benefits of heat reduction etc of the metal film. I assume customers want tint applied under oem tint. I guess a sample would good. But take your time

I just thought about for a few minutes after I sent the above response and I think I get it. When you look at the oem window with say s.g. hp applied to it from a side view it will look dark like oem black tint. However if you open up the side doors and look at the windows from standing infront of the vehicle the doors it will look reflective like HP applied to untinted glass but only when the doors are opened. I think I get it.

Guest darkdan

ATR not a problem. It's just going to make the factory privacy glass darker.

I thought you were meaning full metal films like Platinum Plus, Quantum, HP Fusion, Cold Steel, etc.

Archived