What do you do with an impatient customer

Just wanting to be sure if approached about doing a plane, that I know if I can or cannot under the FAA rules.

Seems to be some very knowledgeable folks about the regs, is it not true that anything that changes the structural integrity of the aircraft means it must have a certificate of some type ?

The film changes the integrity of the windows, so would that mean it would have to be inspected for airworthiness before being allowed to fly ?

Just wanting to be sure if approached about doing a plane, that I know if I can or cannot under the FAA rules.

Seems to be some very knowledgeable folks about the regs, is it not true that anything that changes the structural integrity of the aircraft means it must have a certificate of some type ?

The film changes the integrity of the windows, so would that mean it would have to be inspected for airworthiness before being allowed to fly ?

That is true for almost every type aircraft rating out there. I was going to check on Monday when I go back to work and talk to those who know the regs and where to look for different things. I was not trying to bash the original poster, but rather let it known where the responsibility falls, and that is with the owner of the aircraft to comply with FAA rules and regulations as stated in the CFRs. I have to ask someone who knows much more than I ever will and they work in the office next to mine. So for those who may care about it I will post what I find out.

It may or may not be legal to do. I dunno. My suspicion is that it is not. However, there is almost always an exception or two to every FAA rule anyway. Happy flying to that pilot who had his windows tinted and hopefully it passes every inspection that he is required to do.

ok here is what I found out.

In order to do any work on the aircraft you have to have to appropriate license such as an AMP. The owner is responsible for any modifications and complying with the FAA regulations. If there were ever a need to investigate an aircraft in which was tinted, the tinter could be held liable.

There are ways around the rule, you would have to do research and have data readily available to the FAA and get PRIOR approval to install film legally. Otherwise it is just !llegal plain and simple. I for one would not touch this without everything being in order.

Now if this is an experimental aircraft it may have a whole different set of rules. For me the moral to all of this is to check with the FAA myself. If I get the green light from them then I would consider doing it for the owner of the Aircraft.

Interpretting the regs yourself and applying them to suit your needs does not fly well with the FAA. This owner could get into quite a bit of trouble and if there is an incedent with this aircraft so could the tinter.

Archived