Getting the wife onboard

Guest Solscreen

Guest Solscreen

Tintdesignz I noticed on 1 of your posts on the general section, that you get the wife involved, do you mind me asking what she does? doe she tint or generate more business, my Mrs lost her job a while ago, so I have had her sending out emails then follow up with a friendly phone call. I take her with me on some jobs as she is fantastic at cleaning up behind me, maybe I should get her on the squeegee?

Any other guys out there have a good working relationship with the Mrs in this business.

Sol

Guest JUSTIN

I left my career to help Justin run our business, and I do everything but tint. I know I have generated a lot of sales because I am friendly and take pride in our work, it shows when I talk and interface with consumers on both the residential and auto side. I have implemented maintenance and care sheets on the back of our receipts for cosnumers (which has significantly reduced the argument on what is or isn't covered under warranty like seatbelt niks), along with knowing a lot about films to explain products to all types of consumers. Additionally, I make the outside sales to the fg side. There are many adminstrative and sales duties I have implemented into our business, that it keeps the sales up. Your wife could be a big asset to the business, and if you are going to have to hire and retain another person to help, that may include insurance benefits, etc. And if you are going to pay someone to perform duties that your wife is capable of, why not keep the money in the family?

It can be difficult being around your spouse 24/7, and if you like to micromanage people, then that won't be a good situation for you. Best of luck. :rollin

Candice

Don't do it....

You will find yourself being around her all day.... then after work you will find her sitting on your couch, eating your cheetos,drinkin your beer... .... It's just no good....

Guest Solscreen

Thanks candice, nice input, mind you, she does like to tell me how I should be doing some of these jobs, I have to remind her who is boss :rollin , we only do flat glass, which I enjoy, not auto not keen at all.

Cheers TTs I will watch out for that one.

Mike

Guest JUSTIN
Don't do it....

You will find yourself being around her all day.... then after work you will find her sitting on your couch, eating your cheetos,drinkin your beer... .... It's just no good....

It's true...I drink a lot more beer now than before....

It's good to hear members input on the subject, but just keep in mind.. take the advice with a grain of salt.. I think to decide this REALLY maters on how you and your wife get along , how good you are at working through problems..are you able to separate work from personal , do you have a good example of how well you solve personal problems together to take that model into business.

In short, it could be the best...or the worst decision you've ever made. Only you can have the true insight to if it would be a wise decision :shoot2

Guest pmuzik
It's good to hear members input on the subject, but just keep in mind.. take the advice with a grain of salt.. I think to decide this REALLY maters on how you and your wife get along , how good you are at working through problems..are you able to separate work from personal , do you have a good example of how well you solve personal problems together to take that model into business.

In short, it could be the best...or the worst decision you've ever made. Only you can have the true insight to if it would be a wise decision :spit

You've been watchin Dr. Phil haven't you Wiz :rest

I agree wholeheartedly that what HAS to be decideed is how you get along and are able to resolve differences of opinion. My better half handles 90% percent of the office end and I do all the sales call/installation stuff. For the most part it has worked great and it is because we can discuss and resolve differences without too much of a fight :hmmm

Of course having been married for 33 years has given me the knowledge to choose my battles and that when you tell her "you might be right honey" you can think "but I doubt it" but for sure don't slip up and actually say it out loud as terrible, traumatic events wil surely come your way. :spit

Guest S and S

My hubby brought me in 11 years ago for answering phones/handing him stuff/cleaning up... now I run it and tint...he has MS so I took over and now I do it all myself!

My hubby and I have worked together in the shop since day 1...we get along really well...we share in almost all the responsiblites in the shop...I help him do anything but I am not confident enough to tint by myself, I can clean a mean window, help measure/cut/trim out for tinting...I can put signs together, install ppf, design, print, install some wraps (for the fulls, another person is always nice) but most days it is a good deal...if you guys get along try it out a couple days a week to see how you flow together...she might be really good at everything about the biz...or she might just be good at a couple of things, but it will help you out for sure! One of the nicest things is that he comes to work a little earlier than I do and that gives me some alone time and time to clean up the house run errands etc...make sure it is good for both of you and be honest with each other on whether or not it is gonna work....God Bless!

Archived