HOW MUSH ARE PPF INSTALLERS MAKING

Guest kuppa

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Damn, you're a genius! Want a cookie spelling bee champ? I think you forgot how to use punctuation yourself. Haha!

I didn’t want to throw too much at you clear bra guys at once. Dang where has Blade been? He is the spelling Natzi. I just can’t take the pressure! I think I was talking about the arrogance in the post.

We charge 650 and up and only do 24 and up inch installs. My installer gets 30% and spends the whole day to do a install. I agree with Alberts316 and Sidewinder installing is complicated and does take talent and experience but we ARE just gluing plastic on cars. I recorded one of my installers doing installs for a video I am producing and he averaged 2 hours of work in a 8 hour period doing a car. Who is getting a fair deal here? The customer, my installer, me or is anybody getting a fair deal. Remember only ONE car a day………….. The thread is on pay for doing installs.

I see you are new here so Welcome :shock

spell check is your friend but just put a perioud in sometemes :thumb:thumb:thumb:dunno

Thanks for the welcome! :nope I personally don't think jttint was being all that arrogant, just giving people some motivation, which is cool in my book. That's just the way I took it though.

I used to work at a PPF shop here in the Bay Area, Ca (Clear Armor). We would do up to 4 cars a day at times (2 man teams, one guy doing the front, while one guy did the back and then helped finish up whatever was left on the front), often travelling on the road for up to 2-3 hours a day from dealership to dealership. We got paid a bi-weekly salary so it was rather hectic on our busy days, as we didn't want to be working 10 hour days or more. The amount of cars we did in the amount of time allowed really helped me to learn the film quite quickly though, as I probably have racked up well over 1000 installs in the relatively short time I have been doing it for. After a while I said enough of this bullshit, I'm getting the fuk out and took my skills and new found trade with me. I was getting paid 150 a day under the table, when the the guy who owned the place was bringing over 1 mil a year in profit, just off of his 10 installers slaving away. Might I add that the guy had no clue how to insall PPF either and was a cheap bastard at that, and also used Jerry Rice as a way to promote his product lol. Basically I can do one car a week and make as much as what I was making at the old shop. The best part being...I'm my own boss. Can't beat that!

Crap I hate it when business owners don't know what they are doing! He did have a scam going on at your expense. :lol

Guest Sidewinder
I was getting paid 150 a day under the table, .... Basically I can do one car a week and make as much as what I was making at the old shop. The best part being...I'm my own boss. Can't beat that!

:thumb

150 x 5 days = 750

150 x 6 days = 900

doing one car and making a profit of 750-900? highly unlikely, especially in CA... Home of sky high real estate and rock bottom installs...

I agree, it probably does feel better to 'be your own boss' than it did being an !llegal worker and not getting paid well for your skill.

Guest Sidewinder
We charge 650 and up and only do 24 and up inch installs. My installer gets 30% and spends the whole day to do a install. I agree with Alberts316 and Sidewinder installing is complicated and does take talent and experience but we ARE just gluing plastic on cars.

Gluing plastic to cars... sure on some level that basic statement is true. Thinking that way is devaluing what your shop is doing, and thus the price you think it is worth. I couldn't do retail installs starting at 650 though. Margin is too low and risk too high.

We charge 650 and up and only do 24 and up inch installs. My installer gets 30% and spends the whole day to do a install. I agree with Alberts316 and Sidewinder installing is complicated and does take talent and experience but we ARE just gluing plastic on cars.

Gluing plastic to cars... sure on some level that basic statement is true. Thinking that way is devaluing what your shop is doing, and thus the price you think it is worth. I couldn't do retail installs starting at 650 though. Margin is too low and risk too high.

bull :lol Margin to low :thumb:dunno Never broke nutten either, skill I guess :shock:thumb

Guest Sidewinder

No worries, I can only assume your 650 and my 'average' car are radically different size wise. after paying 195 labor for the install you have 455 left over to cover the cost of the material, kit, or material and cutting cost. Add all the other associated costs and an account for warranty risk and there you go. Factor a percentage of wholesale and there you go.

Guest timeattack07gt
I was getting paid 150 a day under the table, .... Basically I can do one car a week and make as much as what I was making at the old shop. The best part being...I'm my own boss. Can't beat that!

:poke

150 x 5 days = 750

150 x 6 days = 900

doing one car and making a profit of 750-900? highly unlikely, especially in CA... Home of sky high real estate and rock bottom installs...

I agree, it probably does feel better to 'be your own boss' than it did being an !llegal worker and not getting paid well for your skill.

I charge $800-$850 for pretty much any full kit with 24" hood I do, and $1400-$1500 for a full hood and fenders using VentureShield. The market around here is extremely competitive but people are willing to pay for good work, as there are definately a fair share of hacks out there. My old shop use to charge $1,195 for their full kit (24" on the hood), and did about 9-10 cars a day on average. Premier Mobile Group does extremely nice work, but overcharges out the ass, yet is still somehow able to attract lots of clients. I think their full kits are about a G and their full wraps (full hood, fenders) run well over 2g's. Btw, I was working at the old shop working 5 days a week bringing in $750 cash.

Archived