Should I complain to the shop about this?

Guest hometheaterman

Guest hometheaterman

Ok I posted this ? in my other thread about how LLumar tint would meter but I thought I migth get more answers if I started a thread about this. Anyway I got the rear windows tinted on my truck about 2 to 2-1/2 months ago. I had the factory tint so they did it overtop of that. They did 5% on the rear side quad cab doors first. I wanted to see how I liked it. Well, I loved it so went back a little over a week later to get the rear back glass done. I told them to put 5% on that too and they said they would. I sat there and watched them do it and the film looked dark when it was in their hands. Anyway when I got the truck outside I noticed the rear back glass looked a ton lighter from the inside out than the rear sides. I asked them if it was the same tint and he told me at first that it was and the reason it looked so much lighter is the side ones were soo much smaller so that just made them look darker. I didn't really believe this but went on. I got to looking and if I opened the quad cab doors and left the rest shut so that it was nothing on the other side of the door it still looked a fair bit darker than the back glass did. I also kept getting told by people with 5% over factory tint that they could hardly see in it at all and mine was easy to see through as long as the sun was out. I also had no problem really seeing out at night as it wasn't bad at all like the sides were and I remembered 5% being on our old truck. I ended up taking it to a shop that had a meter to test it. The sides metered at 3% and the rear at 8%. Now he said when he started his meter was reading 5% off but I don't see how that can be as I don't see how you can have a -2% and I don't think the rears were 3%. He kept telling me it looked like 20% to him and that it wasn't 5% and to take it back and make them fix it.

I went back and they kept insisting it was nothing they could do unless I wanted to pay for a second layer of tint as that it was 5% and they don't know why the meter would read different. They sent some guy out to look at it whom I've never even seen working in there and all he was doing was standing there talking to the guy working when I went in this time. It was the first time I'd seen him so I'm not sure if he works there or not. Anyway I showed him what I was talking about and he kept insisting he couldn't see a difference. Finally after I pointed out there was a huge difference he admitted it and said that it was 5% and just kept giving me a run around. Finally he said well the factory tint on the rear must have been lighter than on the sides and thats why it looks like this. I don't remember the factory tint being much if any lighter as it was pretty dark on the back too I'd say about the same as the sides. I made them fix one piece that was cut short but left it at that. I was told to talk to the owner about the 5% ordeal and he said the same thing that it was 5% and he was one of the ones putting it on so he knew it was.

I ended up leaving it alone for 2 months and finally went back to the other shop today and told them to strip that tint off and put 5% on the rear since he said what was on there was 20%. So they did that and when he got it off he goes oh well this does look pretty dark and might be close to 5% but I'm going to stick it in the meter. Well, he stuck it in the meter and showed it to me and sure enough it read out as 22.5% so thats basically a 20% I'd think even though it read a little lighter than 20%. He was dead on. He gave me all the old tint although most of it's stuck together and told me to take it back to the original shop and tell them I want my money back. This just bothers me as I already tried to get them to fix it and they wouldn't do anything other than insist it was 5%. It's now like I want it and the other shop did a much much better job on it anyway. I'm a lot happier.

One thing he did say to consider is he doesn't seem to like the company they deal with for tint as he said he started using a new kind due to problems and that it may have been mispackaged and they may have really thought it was 5%.

Basically I'm just wondering if I'd be out of line to take the tint back to the original shop and tell them I want my money back? I'm not sure I will get far but I think they should do something. Doesn't really matter a ton as like this shop said I don't have a lot of leverage as I can't say hey fix this or I'm not coming back because even if they do give me my money back I'm not going to recommend them to anyone nor will I go back unless things change a lot. Should I go back and complain or just let it go? Is this something I should have a right to go complain about? I have before and after pictures of how much difference there is in the truck with real 5% tint now and I have the old 20% tint he took off that they claimed was 5%. I just am kind of bothered I paid as much as I did and had to pay to have it redone. This is a shop around here that gets a decent amount of business I think but I think the reason that happens is that they will put any % tint you want on there it seems where as other shops don't want to do that. They didn't do a great job either and the owner was one of the ones tinting it. The guy that redid part of it seemed to do an okay job.

Sorry for the long post but just wondering if I should go back and complain or if I'm being out of line here? I kind of doubt they will do anything about it but would it be worth trying? Since I know a lot of you guys on here own shops what would you all think I should do? Thanks guys.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest hometheaterman

A guy on another forum brought up a good point. They have stickers all over their door saying they are a BBB member. Is this something if they don't do anything thats worthy of complaining to them about?

It's now like I want it and the other shop did a much much better job on it anyway. I'm a lot happier.

It sucks what the other shop did.... no two ways about it. But I agree, I think you should just let it go. Or at the very least, write them a letter telling them whats what and that you would never refer any business to them.

You could always file a complaint to the BBB, but in reality the BBB doesn't hold much power. Obviously they would keep a record of the complaint, whether it's taken care of by the shop or not, but it would only be useful if they get a ton of complaints, or people check with the BBB before doing business with them.

While I have checked out companies with the BBB in the past, I seldom do it anymore.

yeah... im with mr. paladin. is 3% and 8% really that noticable? not really. can you see in from the outside? no. can you see out at night? no. I guess if it bothers you that much, then pursue it, but I'd just assume drop it and be thankful you can still see out of your rear glass at night, if you can. cuz 3%? :lol2 you should have a warranty and a roll #. call Llulu and see if it was really 5%. I think you said it was Llulu film?

good luck

Guest hometheaterman

The original film wasn't a Lulu film and yes I could see in very easily with it as long as the sun was out. Thats why I was so unhappy with it. This 5% over factory is hard to see in and out of but with the 20% I could easily see in and out of. I'm just ticked I paid for 5% and got 20%

Ive had that happen to me before were the tint was misboxed but there is a huge difference between 20% and 5%. Go and show them what you got and it could have been and honest mistake. This way the correction can be made next time. Call the BBB and they will get a bad rating. And be sure to tell all your friends not to go there EVERYONE! Were all human and mistakes happens but its what you do to correct the issue.

Archived