Should I complain to the shop about this?

Guest hometheaterman

Guest hometheaterman

When it comes to my vehicles I want them to be perfect. Every little thing bothers me. I guess I'm just super duper picky about my vehicles. I also don't that I paid a fair amount of money for a tint that I just never was happy with when it wasn't even what I agreed to pay for. So basically that money is probably lost and I never got what I paid for. Atleast I like how it's tinted now.

I did call the shop and asked to speak to the owner and was told he was on another line. He is the one they told me to talk to last time so I figured I should go directly threw him. The said they could try to help me or have the owner just give me a call back. I asked to have him call me back. It's been about 40 minutes or so and I haven't heard back yet so hopefully I will hear back soon. I think I'm going to just explain it to him but try to be nice about it and if he doesn't do anything oh well. I may then leave some bad reviews about the place online but I don't know that there is anything else to do. I'm just curious to see what they have to say. If they stand behind it I may still tell people how bad of a job I think it was but that they did stand behind it. If they don't stand behind it anyone that asks me will hear how bad I think they are.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest 1PEECBARETTA

was it a dodge? if so, most of those trucks come from yhe factory with a tinted extra cab window, and not the back window. so, if they put 5% on both the side and back, the side would look darker than the back.

Guest hometheaterman

It was a Dodge but my factory rear window had a factory tint just like the sides. I didn't meter it so can't say with 100% certainty that the rear window's factory tint was the same % as the rear sides factory tint but it looked similar. The new shop that put 5% on the rear it looks exactly like 5% does on the rear sides.

When the tint was on there the fact that the rear window may have been lighter was a valid argument. I had this shop pull the tint off to put it on the meter for that very reason. When the tint was off of the truck so it was just the tint nothing else being metered it read 22.5% on the meter. I actually saw it say that on the meter and still have the pieces of tint. This is why I know it's 20%. He put real 5% on there and it looks the same as the sides and just is how I expected it to be originally.

Anyway I talked to the owner of the shop and he refuses to refund my money which I can't say is all that unexpected. Am I in the wrong here to want to leave bad reviews on local sites about this shop? I just feel like if I paid for 5% I should have gotten 5%. If they put something else on by mistake that was fine but imo they should have removed it when I went back and complained and put the correct % I wanted on there. The reason I went to another shop is that they still said it was 5% when I went back. Am I wrong to leave bad reviews or is that the best thing to do in this situation?

I would have checked your windows with a meter and found out WE were in the wrong in the first place and fixed it.... it would have never got to this level...

sorry you had a bad experience...

Guest hometheaterman
I would have checked your windows with a meter and found out WE were in the wrong in the first place and fixed it.... it would have never got to this level...

sorry you had a bad experience...

If I was a shop owner more than likely thats what I would have done too.

I got the 2nd shop to check it with a meter orginally and he said his was reading 5% high on the sample. I think thats what he said. Well, the sides metered out to 3% and the rear to 8%. I don't think it was reading high was I don't see how you can have -2% and those numbers seem right where they should be to me. He also said it was 20% on the back window.

This is when I went back to the original shop and told them I didn't think it was 5% and after they kept saying it was I asked if they had a meter to check them to which they told me no that they don't have a meter. They kept saying it was 5% and that the factory tint on the rear must be lighter so thats why. If it was lighter I couldn't tell when it was factory so I couldn't see it making that much of a difference but I chalked it up to maybe they were right. After talking to several others with 5% tint though this is when I got to realizing the other shop was right and it wasn't 5%.

This is why when he pulled it off I had him put it in the meter by itself to make 100% sure it didn't have anything to do with my factory rear windows being lighter.

Anyway I guess I just don't understand why shops are like this. If I owned one I wouldn't want to act like this at all. I would have wanted to either have me check it or me go watch as someone else did if I didn't have a meter. Then if I was right I would try to be as nice as possible about it but tell them there was nothing more I could do. If it turned out I was wrong and they were right I would glady make an appointment to redo it for them an appologize to them. If I had an unhappy customer I'd want to try my best to make them happy and treat them how I would want to be treated. I don't get why soo many shops aren't like that. It would bring them more business in the long run. Especially in a local shop where word of mouth has to do a lot with your business.

I guess they think of me as one of those customers which are never happy which I admit I am picky like they had to redo a side of the slider when I got it as the tint was cut short and light was coming through a fair amount. I wasn't happy with that so they had to redo it but they just did that section of the slider and it still was the same tint as the rest not any darker.

I mean I know I'm picky and probably not the best customer to deal with here but imo I have a valid complaint. It's not like I'm complaining about nothing. I had to go pay for another shop to put tint on that matched my side rear windows as the original shop didn't put it on like they were supposed to the first time.

I guess the more I think about it the more calm I get about it I just don't get why anyone would want to run their shop like that. Oh well, it's their shop not mine so they can run it however they like I guess.

Welcome to the world of tint.... Every day I am amazed at things my competition does and says...

Honestly the best thing you can do is vote with your wallet and not go back.... I know in my market shops don't advertise much more than the phone book so word of mouth is critical, and VERY powerful...

I don't advocate bashing.... but at the end of the day... it sounds like they were not honest with you and relaying that to your 'sphere of influence' will definately affect them..

didn't you say that your back glass with 5% in not legal anyway? Did you pay extra for the darker film?

talk to the shop owner and see what he says, but if it were me I would tell you that I was sorry, BUT.....

Guest hometheaterman

I'm not exactly sure if 5% is legal or not. The shop that redid it told me it wasn't legal and I had one other one I think maybe 2 tell me that. Then again I've had several places tell me on pickup trucks you can have as dark as you want on the back. The charts with laws seem to not really specify so I'm not sure whats legal and whats not to be honest. I'd actually like to know.

Hard to believe companies like this are in business. Remove and replace is pretty easy and it's a screw-up we've all done. When every custy is one more reference, an unhappy custy is money out of their pocket. Happy customers might refer new customers, unhappy customers tell everybody where not to go. And, how many house jobs happen after you do the car? Just bad business for them.

Archived