send a message to the oil companies

We should blame ourselves. We all knew this was coming, and yet all we did was go out and buy gas guzzling status symbols with out a care in the world. Now we're faced with tapping into our oil. Which could harm our environments. Being from the Gulf Coast I'm deeply concerned about off shore drilling. One "Exxon Valdez" size oil spill and the the Gulf Coast is F'ed for years. White sand and crude oil don't mix.

Stop feeding your kids so much fast food and you won't need a Suburban to haul the little piglets around. My grandmother didn't have any problems hauling me and my cousins around in a Taurus. :rest

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

there isn't much we can do to stop the hike in has prices as long as the gov't keeps such a tight check on it and reports keep getting released about how oil reserves are low, then the futures prices of oil sky rockets... which affects oil prices, SAME DAY, as well as in the month the futures contract is getting bought for. its lose lose. imo... suck it up and pay it, or ride your bike to work. I've gotta commute either way. just got to accept the fact that oil costs money, and we're lucky to have had low gas prices thus far.

im not saying there isnt anything that can be done, but, like DD said. all the emissions control crap and gov't taxes on a necessity such as gas, and our prices ain't goin down.

This kind of post gets me angry because it is misinformed. Would people wake up and stop simply looking at what the dollar amount of profit was. Try looking at the profit margin % for a change. You will surprise yourself who is making out like bandits regarding profits. Maybe we should boycott Google for charging too much for ad words first.............

Further if you want to know a big reason for your petroleum hikes in price, look no further than China and India. Just wait until they really tap the market of automobiles/industrialization for the majority of their people. I imagine gas will be a hell of a lot more expensive than it is now. It is simple supply and demand. Supply is high but demand is beating it up.

I've got a better idea... :rest:spit:spit

:lol2:hmmm:lol Up here the Canadian Government taxes the gas at 28% or so, forget about the gas stations , go after the government :lol2

The (fed, state,local) govt's in the us collectively make nearly TWICE YES DOUBLE what the oil co's make. Sooo being mad that a big oil company managed to eek out a 7.5% net margin is misplaced. Yes gas & diesel have seen a large increase in price over the past couple of years. Our fuel costs are still extremely low compared to most of the world. Nope, doesn't make it easier to swallow, but it is what it is. If you want to be mad, just make sure you are mad at the right people.
This kind of post gets me angry because it is misinformed. Would people wake up and stop simply looking at what the dollar amount of profit was. Try looking at the profit margin % for a change. You will surprise yourself who is making out like bandits regarding profits. Maybe we should boycott Google for charging too much for ad words first.............

Further if you want to know a big reason for your petroleum hikes in price, look no further than China and India. Just wait until they really tap the market of automobiles/industrialization for the majority of their people. I imagine gas will be a hell of a lot more expensive than it is now. It is simple supply and demand. Supply is high but demand is beating it up.

:hmmm to all, most of these oil companies report only a 4 to 8 % profit margin,

how much of a margin do we make on our services, and how would we like some govt. agency to decide we have too high of a profit margin, and take from us what they think is too much

if the govt, fed. and local, wanted to help the poor american public from the oil companies, why dont they start the tax holiday for the summer, because they would loose their record taxes for all of their pork barrel projects, sorry for the rant :skit

DarkDan said it sorrectly. Most of your local stations get their gas from the same tanks as Exxon or Mobil stations, so boycotting those two brands will only hurt the station owner, now the corporation. These so called threats to boycott are foolish at best. The only way a boycott would work is to STOP DRIVING all together. I say, before ya bitch about the price of fuel, check what you get for mileage per gallon, then look at who is partially at fault. Driving an SUV that gets 9-12 miles per gallon removes your right to complain, IMO. :rest

IMO raising fuel prices is one way to wake us up as a nation, about going green and looking for alternate ways to power our modes of transportation....

If prices stayed low we would all still be driving those lumbering gas gusslers around....

Now you see people buying hybrids and small cars to offset the price hike...

What we need to do is come together and start using less fossil fuel and start developing cleaner and cheaper alternatives...

Check out this vehicle.....100 plus mpg...

Aptera

Guest darkdan

Very true. They've been gobbling up all the steel and aluminum too.

Everyone really should stop buying made in China products, but it's almost impossible to find anything made in America nowadays. If it is made here, it's made from stuff from there.

My tint is made in India, this shirt was made in Haiti, about seven things currently sitting on my desk were made in China......

Guest Fly Paper

Did anyone even take into acount that 85% of our US territories are OFF LIMITS TO DRILLING or exploration? The USA HAS LOT'S of OIL underground! Wake up folks ...the phoney wacko environmentalist that want you to live in a cave without electricity and running water and their political buddies in congress have put us in this position NOT the oil companies. No refineries have been built in 25 years and they don't want nuclear power plants or more coal which we have hundreds of years of reserves. SO we support terrorism and buy from the middle east!

It always goes back to government interference... they always screw it up!

Exxon Mobil has huge investments around the world. Their profits are not that much on a percentage basis. Until the mortgage problem, financial institutions were more profitable. The big profits go to the landowners. Easy to see why politicians go after them. It works. But I vote for capitalism. You should be able to charge what the market will bear. Supply and demand.

Archived