Suggestions on how to handle this windows solo

There aren't many windows that stump me... since I work solo, I have to come up with some creative ways to do things. But this window I'm kindof stumped at. I will probably end up getting help, but since the job is only one window, I'd rather not have to pay someone to help. But at the same time, I'm not foolish enough to attempt it on my own if I'm going to waste film or have it take me three hours to do.

The window is a triangle.... 5 feet high at the point... 10 feet long along the bottom edge.

And I have to be up on a ladder.

Any suggestions? Or should I just bag it and bring a helper?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest darkdan

Wow, I hope it doesn't have a shadow or anything and I hope you use a brand that will cover that large of a window. And I hope you have insurance in case it breaks! LOL.

I'd take the piece of tint, tape it to the wall. Then draw out the triangle with a china marker. Then rough cut it with scissors. Trim it on the window, clean, install.

I'm checking with my film reps to see what they will warranty. I'm going to guess that no one will warranty anything darker then a 50% film... which will have to do.

Unless I can find an external film. The client wanted something around 40%....

Guest darkdan

CPFilms is the only company I use that will cover things over 40 square feet if it still meets the F2G chart.

Everyone else I use immediately dismiss anything over 40 sq/ft.

Guest vclimber
CPFilms is the only company I use that will cover things over 40 square feet if it still meets the F2G chart.

Everyone else I use immediately dismiss anything over 40 sq/ft.

Angles are sometimes maxed out at half that. Better call your dist for verification.

FWIW- Not everyone dismisses >40sq ft for glass coverage warranty.

a triangle or a square bottom with triangle top? triangle isn't that bad. cut the piece 2 inches over, lay flat on a dropcloth and precut from the middle of the top to the corners. reverse roll it all the way to the middle before you hit the glass with it. past the middle it will get easier and easier as the piece gets smaller towards the corner. you're gonna need to be able to go from ladder to ladder across the window without getting down. doing it this way you already have half of the material on the glass before you roll the rest out.

Maddy said no.. and I've emailed another rep.

It is a triangle... straight edge bottom.. then angles up to a point at the center. Hopefully the side points aren't going to be super tight... but I will definitely pre-cut before I put it up on the glass. I never used to do that, but one day I gave it a shot and it actually makes it a ton easier. :bdog

I doubt it's tempered.

It could be... but I don't think so. I know nothing in the building code would require it... and most, if not all of those windows I've done that have been along the same lines as this one weren't tempered.

Archived