Huper Ceramic Energy Saver and Infrared #s on Huper???

Guest megansbunch

Guest megansbunch

I am a newbie here and have read a lot of great information. Thank you! However, I have not read a lot about Huper Ceramic Energy Saver 35 which we are considering for our home here in Utah vs. the Huper C40? Could you please tell me how it compares (besides the cost difference - I have both bids) and also how the huper rating of Infra-red Reduction compares to Total Solar Energy Rejected (like other films used? Are the numbers the same??? Thank you so much!

Guest vclimber
I am a newbie here and have read a lot of great information. Thank you! However, I have not read a lot about Huper Ceramic Energy Saver 35 which we are considering for our home here in Utah vs. the Huper C40? Could you please tell me how it compares (besides the cost difference - I have both bids) and also how the huper rating of Infra-red Reduction compares to Total Solar Energy Rejected (like other films used? Are the numbers the same??? Thank you so much!

ESC 35 is Huper's single-ply ceramic film. It is made with the same ceramic component as the Ceramic 40. The difference is the single ply ESC films are more reflective (15% for ESC 35) versus the dual-ply Ceramic 40 which is a lot less reflective at 9% reflectance. So if you want minimal reflectance, the C-40 is the best choice. If you do not mind something a little more reflective, then the ESC 35 reject more solar energy at 60% TSER versus the Ceramic 40 at 56% Total Solar Energy Rejected.

Infrared rejection is a measurement of one component that makes up the total solar energy. It is not the same as the Total Solar Energy Rejected number. It breaks down this way. Ultra Violet Radiation is responsible for 3% of the Total Solar Energy, Visible Light is responsible for 44%, and Infrared is responsible for 53% of the total solar energy. So when the spec says "81% IR Rejection," what that means is that the film is filtering out 81% of the IR spectrum that accounts for 53% of the total solar energy. Make sense? :bdog

So the best way to compare apples to apples is to compare either the Total Solar Energy Rejection percentages or the Solar Heat Gain Coefficients which are kind of the reciprocal of TSER.

Guest megansbunch

Thank you so much VClimber. After reading everything you have written on this site...or at least a lot of it....I must confess you were the one I was hoping would reply. Great info that helps a ton.

Guest haroldshouseoftint
Thank you so much VClimber. After reading everything you have written on this site...or at least a lot of it....I must confess you were the one I was hoping would reply. Great info that helps a ton.

:linedrink V is the man when specs/statistical info is required.

Guest megansbunch

Machine works for me. I noticed many (esp Vclimber) seem to prefer the Ceramic 30 over the 40....would it not be too dark or is it all a matter of my visual preference? Also if I am comparing the Ceramics to a Panorama Slate 40 (my husband's choice for economics sake), is the biggest difference the reflectiveness on those or is there a construction or warranty issue I should be concerned with?

We are in Utah so we are dry and I suppose do not have to worry about corrosion issues that are brought on by humidity but we do have that salt from the great Salt lake. Any problems from that? Again, thank you all so much for your help!

Guest vclimber
Machine works for me. I noticed many (esp Vclimber) seem to prefer the Ceramic 30 over the 40....would it not be too dark or is it all a matter of my visual preference? Also if I am comparing the Ceramics to a Panorama Slate 40 (my husband's choice for economics sake), is the biggest difference the reflectiveness on those or is there a construction or warranty issue I should be concerned with?

We are in Utah so we are dry and I suppose do not have to worry about corrosion issues that are brought on by humidity but we do have that salt from the great Salt lake. Any problems from that? Again, thank you all so much for your help!

I like the Ceramic 30 because it has more solar energy rejection and it looks nice. Place a sample of the ceramic 30 or 40 on your window alongside the Slate 40 and ask yourself; "which one looks the best on my home?" The Panorama is a metalized film with dye added to tone down the reflection whereas the ceramic contains no metal and no dye. One will be reflective and one will not. The nano-architecture of the ceramic films is what gives them such good optical characteristics. Pick what looks and performs the best to you. :linedrink

Guest fisherman

Value VS Price. Divide the cost difference by 10 years and you will see that price, in the big picture, is not that much different.....And you get the film you want, the look you are after, and ultimately the enrgy savings will return your investment or at the very least offset the investment. :linedrink

Archived