2003 e46 coupe

Guest tintec

Guest tintec

guy called me yesterday said he left this car to another local tinter,he said the guy made a complete balls of the framless roll ups,and the rear back glass,he wants me to strip and redo the whole car,ive done quite a few bmws to date but yet to do a framless coupe,whats best method of cutting film for these rollups and getting them to stick to side matrix,also do I leave a slightly bigger quarter inch gap right around them?? im presuming I hang dry the back glass top matrix aswell..

Guest naughtydog

Watch out on these, I cut the patterns a fraction oversize and shave or file the edges back. You will need to shrink the fronts. Pull the rub rail out - usual BMW scenario.

You will have to glue the matrix at the top and I would imagine you would be best pulling the rear deck if you have not done one before, they are tight down at the bottom.

Guest tintec

I take it yuou mean gluing the back glass matrix,its the matrix on the sides im worried about will they stick,so you dont leave quarter inch gap,you tint right to the edge and file correct??

Guest tintec
The matrix on the sides usually sit pretty well with just a litttle heat, I go just beyond the matrix on the sides

thanks ill give that a go :boogagay2:

Guest naughtydog
I take it yuou mean gluing the back glass matrix,its the matrix on the sides im worried about will they stick,so you dont leave quarter inch gap,you tint right to the edge and file correct??

Firstly...a quarter inch gap... :thumb You should be able to get it to about 1mm from the edge with a good film without any peeling issues or leave a tiny overlap and file it back. I think on the sides with matrix, I micro edge the long side , it sits better that way. I also flat the dots down on the sides and use some dot devil to get good adhesion. Then try and leave it to sit for a while and dry naturally.

ND

1200 wet sand the door dots... dont foget below the filler... 1000 wet sand with cutting strokes the rear matrix the same way you would a high build paint primer.... I think glue is an easy treatment instead of a true cosmetic solution to this problem.

Guest naughtydog
1200 wet sand the door dots... dont foget below the filler... 1000 wet sand with cutting strokes the rear matrix the same way you would a high build paint primer.... I think glue is an easy treatment instead of a true cosmetic solution to this problem.

What are cutting srokes Lorenzo?

Do you do anything with the matrix around door or rear quarter windows?

Over here the people are|\|4L about these dots - they are beginning to p1ss me off.!

Over here the people are|\|4L about these dots - they are beginning to p1ss me off.!

fold sand paper similiar to trifold wallet..three or four finger width ..then finger to palm height.. lots of soapy. H2O.. Take some time and watch the auto body refinishers techniques... they vary in style. I sand every single glass that has matrix.. start making custom sticks for accuracy for the quarters.

Guest naughtydog

fold sand paper similiar to trifold wallet..three or four finger width ..then finger to palm height.. lots of soapy. H2O.. Take some time and watch the auto body refinishers techniques... they vary in style. I sand every single glass that has matrix.. start making custom sticks for accuracy for the quarters.

Thanks for that Lorenzo

Archived