Coating on glass

Guest tint whisperer

Guest tint whisperer

On some types of vehicles there seems to be a coating on the glass, that causes the solution to bead up and and it's a real pain to move the film around, really grabby. Any help??

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest darkdan

The real problem is that coating reduces the effectiveness of the bond between the tint and glass resulting in peeling.

So even with more slip (which reduces the bond even further) if you manage to get it into place before it locks, after that film dries it will want to peel.

I'm not sure what people use on their windows, but up here I run into it a lot for some odd reason. I think it might be from anti-fog stuff.

Guest darkdan

It's "grabbing" because there's no water because it beaded up and ran off. So it's like trying to stick it on dry.

It "peels" because that coating on the glass reduces the strength of the bond of the adhesive to the glass (after all, oily film between glue and glass is less strong than glue directly to glass).

Guest Soultinter

Yeah, I know EXACTLY what u r talking about. IT SUCKS!!!

However, if you spray the window w a good cleaner and rub it good w your hand and rinse it will take it away.

Guest darkdan

I ran into once when I was doing some mobile work at a detail shop. I didn't have my Zaino glass polish with me. The only thing on his shelf that I found took it off was carpet cleaner and it took several cleanings. I'll stick with the Zaino personally.

Archived