warranty claims

I have a few questions for you all.

1. What do you do with a customer that wants to cash in on a lifetime warranty. The work is over 6 years old, and through a film supplier you no longer deal with, and haven't dealt with in over 4 years.

2. Should the supplier pay you for the r&r?

3. If not, do you pay for it out of your own pocket?

4. Or, do you send them to a tint shop that warranties that suppliers product?

Guest General Sun Shield

6 years is a long time ,BUT, if they are your customer,I would do whatever it takes to keep them as a customer. :gasp

Buisness owners have to take one for the team sometimes.

Stop right there.

The film has a lifetime waranty from the manufacturer and you applied it. Get the toll fre number to the manny and call them. Infrm them that you are willing to do their warranty work, but for film and cash(r check) since you no longer use their film. Or ask them to refer another shop for you to send the customer to. As long as the customer has their paperwork available, this should be a no brainer for the manny.

Guest General Sun Shield
Stop right there.

The film has a lifetime waranty from the manufacturer and you applied it. Get the toll fre number to the manny and call them. Infrm them that you are willing to do their warranty work, but for film and cash(r check) since you no longer use their film. Or ask them to refer another shop for you to send the customer to. As long as the customer has their paperwork available, this should be a no brainer for the manny.

I agree,it should be a no brainer for the manny,

The chances of the manny paying someone who no longer carries the film is slim.

They would refer you to another shop,but,if it was a customer of mine I would take care of it to keep the custy.

Not send them off to another shop. :gasp

Stop right there.

Thats what I was thinking :beer

I dug up one of the old warranty cards, and the manu. warranty card states that they have to approve all warranty work, and approve who does it.

Otherwise, if they refuse to pay up, for me to suck it up and take one for the team to save a one time, six year old customer. I would have to find out what type of film was applied, order a partial roll of a product I haven't used in over 5 years, r&r what is defective, out of my own pocket, for a film I did not make, or warranty for life, to make a customer happy, I dont think I'm man enough to eat that much crap :gasp

Guest General Sun Shield

Did the custy have all the paperwork?

Most people don't even keep thier cars for 6 years,let alone the warranty card and invoice :gasp

Stop right there.

They would refer you to another shop,but,if it was a customer of mine I would take care of it to keep the custy.

Not send them off to another shop. :gasp

:beer take care of it, don't send them somewhere else.

Most people don't even keep thier cars for 6 years,let alone the warranty card and invoice :beer

He believe's the paperwork is still in the glove box, he is suppose to call back today at lunch.

Look, on my previous post, I dont want to seem that I am one of those guys that set out to look for ways to get out of having to honor my work. That isn't the issue here, my work isn't what's defective, and I switched brands due to problems with quality, price, and customer service in regards to warranty claims. If I were to warranty the 4 door grand prix, I would have to replace all of the defective windows with the new film I now carry, so that all of the film will match, so that the customer doesn't rightfully complain about the film's not matching. When is it my responsibility to do this, we make it clear to all customers that the warranty is between them and the manu., since we did not make the product, just installed it. We stand behind our craftsmanship, but not after 6 plus years. If our installation was an issue, it would have surfaced before now. :gasp

Just got off of the phone with the customer, and it was installed 5/18/2000, so its been awhile.

Guest General Sun Shield
Stop right there.

Not send them off to another shop. :beer

:beer take care of it, don't send them somewhere else.

Yeah , even if it was a one time customer they are still your customer. Taking care of them will add bonus points to the professionalism to your shop ,( I'm not saying that you do not run a professional shop, believe me ,its a bitch to loose $$ in a situation like this)

But word of mouth pays off in the long run , and how often will this happen.

Once every 4 or 5 years? :gasp

:gasp

Guest General Sun Shield

Most people don't even keep thier cars for 6 years,let alone the warranty card and invoice :gasp

He believe's the paperwork is still in the glove box, he is suppose to call back today at lunch.

Look, on my previous post, I dont want to seem that I am one of those guys that set out to look for ways to get out of having to honor my work. That isn't the issue here, my work isn't what's defective, and I switched brands due to problems with quality, price, and customer service in regards to warranty claims. If I were to warranty the 4 door grand prix, I would have to replace all of the defective windows with the new film I now carry, so that all of the film will match, so that the customer doesn't rightfully complain about the film's not matching. When is it my responsibility to do this, we make it clear to all customers that the warranty is between them and the manu., since we did not make the product, just installed it. We stand behind our craftsmanship, but not after 6 plus years. If our installation was an issue, it would have surfaced before now. :gasp

Just got off of the phone with the customer, and it was installed 5/18/2000, so its been awhile.

8 years.... long time, obviously not your craftmanship. :beer

Archived