Just starting out - what are some good, *inexpensive* ways??

I am just starting out with my own business. Residential and commercial flat glass. I've been with a company for a number of years and I would like to give it a shot going on my own to make some extra money.

What are some good ideas for inexpensive advertising?? One idea I have is to flyer this new develoment that recently was completed. There are very little coverage from trees, and the houses have a large amount of windows.

Thanks!!

Roach

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

welcome to the board roach. to answer you question, I dont do much res/flat. but I do recall some of the res/flatglass guys saying that they had flyers made up that would hang on door knobs and went aroung neighborhoods hanging them on every home.

Guest tintchick

you can't just flyer an area once and expect results,,,I've flyered the same areas for years and people sometimes just call,,,it depends,,you have to be consistent and patient, don't expect overnight success :thumb

raoch welcome to the board. resdential and comeercial is a hard business to start . can I suggest sub contracting. it will help keep you busy for the most part. but also allow you the freedom to make your own schedule. to do your own jobs

you can also try to get in with some interior designers..I have a few that recommend me to help protect there furnishings and window treatments..I've never tried door hangers but haave been thinking about it alot mainly to help the in the winter months, and I do agree with tintchick you have to do the same area over and over to make it work...good luck :thumb

Guest denvertinter
raoch welcome to the board. resdential and comeercial is a hard business to start . can I suggest sub contracting. it will help keep you busy for the most part. but also allow you the freedom to make your own schedule. to do your own jobs

Not a bad suggestion, and that's what I'm doing for my flat glass work - at least till we get going. It's expensive to stock the material, buy the truck/van and slitter, and pay for the extra insurance etc.

By subbing it out, you can still make a nice % (we're getting 33% - but we actually sell the jobs). So, less risk up front and you can take your time and set up your own installers when it makes sense. Also, when starting out, you can spend your $ on advertising to "build your brand" and other overhead/shop expenses.

Guest denvertinter

Oh, I almost forgot, regarding *inexpensive* ways to merket your tint business.

Maybe try to contact some of your local radio stations (I'd suggest "sports talk" for the demographics if available), and offer to give them "free car tintings" or a nice discount off flat glass in exchange for on air advertising / promos.

Most radio programs like to have things to "give away to the 99th caller", and you get (free - minus your material and labor costs) radio advertising in exchange.

This would work better for cars, since the associated costs are lower and the work comes to you.

Guest Johnny5104

remember word of mouth is the best advertising you can do......you get ahold of the right people and do excellent work you'd be surprised how far you can get

most radio stations wont go for it. and if they do they will want to do it at least a few times a daymeaning you then have a few cars everyday to tint for free. leaving yourself no time to make money. remember they charge for advertising. so they dont want to give it away

Archived