PPF guy looking to add tinting to business

Guest timeattack07gt

Guest timeattack07gt

Wuts up guys. I've been installing PPF for a few years now and have pretty much mastered the art of installing various PPF's, whether it be 3M, Avery, or VS. Anyway, I was looking to do some tinting on the side, as the the PPF end can be a little slow at times. I was just wondering how hard it is when making the transition from PPF to tinting, in terms of picking up the required skills to do quality installation that hold up for a good amount of time. I've heard for the most part that PPF is tougher than tint to install, but I'm sure tinting has its fair share of difficulties when in comparison to applying PPF. I'll probably end up practicing on my own car, particularly on the convex front windshield, where it is tougher to get the tint to lay down. Any important pointers when learning the ropes? Thanks a bunch!

Wuts up guys. I've been installing PPF for a few years now and have pretty much mastered the art of installing various PPF's, whether it be 3M, Avery, or VS. Anyway, I was looking to do some tinting on the side, as the the PPF end can be a little slow at times. I was just wondering how hard it is when making the transition from PPF to tinting, in terms of picking up the required skills to do quality installation that hold up for a good amount of time. I've heard for the most part that PPF is tougher than tint to install, but I'm sure tinting has its fair share of difficulties when in comparison to applying PPF. I'll probably end up practicing on my own car, particularly on the convex front windshield, where it is tougher to get the tint to lay down. Any important pointers when learning the ropes? Thanks a bunch!

Be careful practicing on the front windshield cause it is usually laminated glass and will break :gasp with heat. Try practicing on the rear glass. Look up some old threads on heat forming etc.. using the search button. You can always check out my dvd's . special deals on them for TD members, just let me know if you need them. I think tinting is like paint protection in reverse. Instead of clear it is dark and instead of stretching we are heat shrinking.

Stan

Guest Litespeeds

PPF is actually easier than tinting because you can not really see small imperfections on your install. Getting imperfections on windows will show up as people expect glass to be perfectly optically clear. PPF can be stretched but window tint can not and have to be heat shrunk to fit the windows.

Also you will be making less money so I would concentrate on what you do best and try to get more business instead of learning a new trade and end up having a bad name for yourself if you do not do quality work. Good luck.

Guest timeattack07gt

Thanks for the great advice! One of the reasons I wanted to add tinting to my business was simply because I get quite a few customers who want there cars tinted on top of doing the clear bra, and I usually end up having to send them elsewhere. It would be a nice way of making an extra buck while expanding my business. I'll probably give it a shot on a really tough rear window (my buddies 04 Z06) and see how it goes. If I find it too difficult and frustrating to heat form and apply the film I'll probably just forget about doing tinting. I might also look into flat glass, business and residential tinting as tintzeus reccomended. Thanks again!

I can tell you right now it is far more difficult to tint than install ppf I have installed ppf for 3 years. I would recommend going to a tint school if you are serious about tinting. I went to the Johnson window film tint school and it helped a ton with the basics and tricks even though it is still hard to do I know the proper way to install tint and how to lay out the rollups so there is no gap.

Archived