MOT tint meters in Northern Ireland

Guest Revolution

Guest Revolution

Just spoke to a customer who lives in Northern Ireland, he took his car for MOT yesterday and it failed on 50% carbon fronts.

they had a tint meter there and told him it failed.

not sure when they got tint meters, as Northern Ireland comes under the UK , do they do this on mainland UK as part of the MOT?

Guest naughtydog

VOSA claims that window film will not come into the mot as it would cost too much to implement.

You dont need windows in the car for an mot...so this seems a little mad to me.

Are you sure that vosa where not just paying a visit to the mot centre and demonstrated the tint meter, it is not on the current test sheet to be tested.

I have heard of some funny goings on in Ireland with timt meters before.

Guest Revolution

I asked him all the same questions, was real surprised the tested even noticed the film on the fronts, but he showed me his fail sheet and it had windows tinted too dark written on it.

the way it differs in Northern Ireland is that they only have a few appointed MOT centres, not individual garages doing the testing, so I guess its easier to set up tint meters there.

having said that it still is the UK mot system so not sure what the story is. there is talk here in the Republic of bringing this in on the equivelant NCT test but nothing as yet. :poke

Guest tintec
I asked him all the same questions, was real surprised the tested even noticed the film on the fronts, but he showed me his fail sheet and it had windows tinted too dark written on it.

the way it differs in Northern Ireland is that they only have a few appointed MOT centres, not individual garages doing the testing, so I guess its easier to set up tint meters there.

having said that it still is the UK mot system so not sure what the story is. there is talk here in the Republic of bringing this in on the equivelant NCT test but nothing as yet. :hmmm

I had a car fail myself in northern ireland with 35% on front,guy told me absolutley no film on front windows,he metered it and showed me it reading 33%

Guest naughtydog

having said that it still is the UK mot system so not sure what the story is. there is talk here in the Republic of bringing this in on the equivelant NCT test but nothing as yet. :hmmm

I had a car fail myself in northern ireland with 35% on front,guy told me absolutley no film on front windows,he metered it and showed me it reading 33%

is it on the test sheet?

Guest nikstar

I know quite a few MOT ers and I was told that he would not fail the car if it came in with front windows down and fuse removed so they couldnt put windows back up, well only works on electric windows!

Guest coolrides

they getting fussy over here in northern ireland, used to be more relaxed but now if the mot dont get you the police will. just takes the wrong cop and your done for.

only ever been made to rip it off fronts and 30 pound fine, but is possible to get points too.

keep er legal

Archived