Little Panes, simple cuts

Having done soooo many installations lately with small panes (average size - 7.5 X 8) I figured I would pass on the best cutter to use. First, I am a believer in the film handler. I can cut nice and straight(90*) with little waste. Then, I use a CARL rotary trimmer. (Model RT-215) This cutter, unlike old school paper cuters, has a lock down bar that allows for square cuts without the film walking. I cut one side, then square off a second. Continuing to work around the film, make the next cut exact, then finish with the final cut exact. Usually, I have to test it one or twice to get the exact size cut, but once I have, all remaining can be cut quickly. As discussed here previously, many state they are able to do about 10 or so panes per hour. With this method, I usually can clean, cut and install about 18 to 20 per hour. A recent job saw 64 panes done in 4 hours including set-up and tear-down( average 19+/HR). This trimmer costs about $52 at Staples, but it is well worth it!!!!!

I use a rotary cutter also for tdls. if its 8x8 then I'll pull a 60" roll down 8" on the filmhandler. I'll run this strip through the rotary cutter and the results are great. my rotary cutter is some cheap plastic thing and can only handle widths up to 12". would like something bigger.

I like the rotar cutter too for those jobs. When I first started out, I would take the exact pane measurements and make a painters tape picture frame on my cutting table with about 3 layers (to give a little edge) and place the factory edge on one side and hand cut with the olfa the other three sides....steady hand required and is a PAIN int he AZZ.....lol. Has anybody used a plotter to cut these out? That would take no time at all and very little waste.....but expensive investment...

Guest tdmillet

here in forida most of the french panes are cheap plastic strips. you can take them off, tint window in one pc. and put them back on with chaulking. alot better than back home in boston were everyone is a seperate wood painted frame. :thumb

I use a rotary cutter also for tdls. if its 8x8 then I'll pull a 60" roll down 8" on the filmhandler. I'll run this strip through the rotary cutter and the results are great. my rotary cutter is some cheap plastic thing and can only handle widths up to 12". would like something bigger.

The model I gave is a 15 " unit. I believe they have bigger ones also.

here in forida most of the french panes are cheap plastic strips. you can take them off, tint window in one pc. and put them back on with chaulking. alot better than back home in boston were everyone is a seperate wood painted frame. :thumb

how difficult is it to remove them and do they ever break? I've wanted to do this sooo many times...

couple of months ago we had a situation where the locks were touching the glass and needed removing. well, the friggin' divider grids were cut so that the ends covered 1/2 of the screwheads on the locks.

how difficult is it to remove them and do they ever break? I've wanted to do this sooo many times...

couple of months ago we had a situation where the locks were touching the glass and needed removing. well, the friggin' divider grids were cut so that the ends covered 1/2 of the screwheads on the locks.

I did the same exact thing on a s&s job down in florida. but used clear silicone / 2 sided foam tape to reinstall. taking them off was nothing and the only benefit of reinstalling the strips is that from the inside looking out, you cant see whatever the outside ones are held on with (it usually looks tacky.)

Guest tdmillet

I did the same exact thing on a s&s job down in florida. but used clear silicone / 2 sided foam tape to reinstall. taking them off was nothing and the only benefit of reinstalling the strips is that from the inside looking out, you cant see whatever the outside ones are held on with (it usually looks tacky.)

most of the time I talk the home owner into leaving them off. I tell them it is alot easier to clean one pane of glass. :beer

Archived