3M Introduces Digital Design Software

Guest Mike -Quality Auto Trim

Guest Mike -Quality Auto Trim

3M has introduced their Digital Designs cutting software, available since July 15. Since this is a "soft launch" there are only a few Vehicle lines available: Acura, Audi, BMW, Honda, Lexus,Mercedes, Mini, Scion, Smart, and Toyota. 3M is currently working on more patterns. Presently there is not the ability to modify the patterns though plans are in the works for that in the future. Below is part of their letter that was sent concerning the software.

We are pleased to announce the availability of 3M™ Digital Designs paint protection film pattern software beginning July 1, 2008. The 3M™ Automotive Dealer Market Center sales organization will begin to take orders for Digital Designs Starter Kit beginning July 1 and the first shipments will be filled starting July 15, 2008.

3M™ Digital Designs Paint Protection Film Pattern Software

• Web enabled software containing paint protection film patterns for current model year vehicles

• Patterns designed for the unique features of 3M™ Scotchgard™ paint protection film

• Easier to install

• Look better on the vehicle

• Validated by leading installers in the industry

There is a modest upfront charge for the software and a monthly per sq ft price for the kits.

Quality Auto Trim is distributing the software as are the other 3M Distributors. If you have any questions or would like to obtain the product feel free to call Trevor at 866-562-2220 or Mike at 509-993-9181

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3M has introduced their Digital Designs cutting software, available since July 15. Since this is a "soft launch" there are only a few Vehicle lines available: Acura, Audi, BMW, Honda, Lexus,Mercedes, Mini, Scion, Smart, and Toyota. 3M is currently working on more patterns. Presently there is not the ability to modify the patterns though plans are in the works for that in the future. Below is part of their letter that was sent concerning the software.

We are pleased to announce the availability of 3M™ Digital Designs paint protection film pattern software beginning July 1, 2008. The 3M™ Automotive Dealer Market Center sales organization will begin to take orders for Digital Designs Starter Kit beginning July 1 and the first shipments will be filled starting July 15, 2008.

3M™ Digital Designs Paint Protection Film Pattern Software

• Web enabled software containing paint protection film patterns for current model year vehicles

• Patterns designed for the unique features of 3M™ Scotchgard™ paint protection film

• Easier to install

• Look better on the vehicle

• Validated by leading installers in the industry

There is a modest upfront charge for the software and a monthly per sq ft price for the kits.

Quality Auto Trim is distributing the software as are the other 3M Distributors. If you have any questions or would like to obtain the product feel free to call Trevor at 866-562-2220 or Mike at 509-993-9181

So why are they doing this when they own the IP database and they were giving that away for free??

Seems very odd behaviour?

Cheers:)

Mike, can you provide some information about the modest upfronts and monthly access fees? I've heard its $400 and then .90 cents per square foot monthly. I've also heard you can't copy and paste with the program so if you messed up a mirror install, you'd have to cut the entire kit to get another one.

Guest *Todd *

Speed,

There is an initial fee of $400.00 for the software and there is no minimum monthly fee like ohter programs. You are charged a sq/ft price that is modest and decreases with volume. You are able to download any part on the system and cut individual pieces and then only charged for the sq/ft that you cut. The software only charges you for what you cut and not what you download.

Tango2,

Keep in mind that the IP designs are made and designed with Venture while the 3M Digital Designs are designed with 3M film. The characteristics of the two films are different and that is why different designs work better with different films. The basic idea is to have the best patterns for the type of film you are using. This makes for an easier and faster install with less imperfections.

Speed,

There is an initial fee of $400.00 for the software and there is no minimum monthly fee like ohter programs. You are charged a sq/ft price that is modest and decreases with volume. You are able to download any part on the system and cut individual pieces and then only charged for the sq/ft that you cut. The software only charges you for what you cut and not what you download.

Tango2,

Keep in mind that the IP designs are made and designed with Venture while the 3M Digital Designs are designed with 3M film. The characteristics of the two films are different and that is why different designs work better with different films. The basic idea is to have the best patterns for the type of film you are using. This makes for an easier and faster install with less imperfections.

Never encountered that before, cut patterns on four different films over the years never seen an issue.

Take your word for it though

Cheers

Cheers

C'mon Tango, didn't you know that all the IP kits (including the 993s, 996s, and 360s) were designed and test fit with Venture? Nobody would be able to install them correctly if it wasn't so. What gets me is how they were able to come out with a full library of kits designed for with their film literally overnight when its taking 3M a month of Sundays just to have a few dozen patterns designed for their shapes. It does take longer to install 3M so I guess it must take even longer to design patterns with it, maybe that's the holdup.

Thanks Todd for clearing up some of the cost issues and the single piece cut problems we all have from time to time. I'd still be interested in knowing the per sq ft charge and its volumn discount sounds great except for the lack of patterns. Out of the last fifty cars I did, only one model was on the list.

Cheers

C'mon Tango, didn't you know that all the IP kits (including the 993s, 996s, and 360s) were designed and test fit with Venture? Nobody would be able to install them correctly if it wasn't so. What gets me is how they were able to come out with a full library of kits designed for with their film literally overnight when its taking 3M a month of Sundays just to have a few dozen patterns designed for their shapes. It does take longer to install 3M so I guess it must take even longer to design patterns with it, maybe that's the holdup.

Thanks Todd for clearing up some of the cost issues and the single piece cut problems we all have from time to time. I'd still be interested in knowing the per sq ft charge and its volumn discount sounds great except for the lack of patterns. Out of the last fifty cars I did, only one model was on the list.

ROFLMAO need to spare some blushes, Bob Jackson might have a worthwhile input into the Paterns and film crossover I guess :thumb

Cheers

Guest *Todd *

Speed,

Here is the price breakdown and volume discount that you were wondering about.

0-1,000 Sq. Ft. = $0.97 per Sq. Ft.

1,001-5,000 Sq. Ft. = $0.83 per Sq. Ft.

5,001-25,000 Sq. Ft. = $0.69 per Sq. Ft.

25,000 Sq. Ft. & Above = $0.54 per Sq. Ft.

I hope that helps answer your questions.

Archived