so what am i gonna do with this?

these are facing east and morning sunlight and heat killing this guys custy's in the showroom. there's gotta be something for him. that far left window is 72 sq ft. though. no warranty is still no problem. single pane glass. I am worried about the shading but only getting early morning sun. never seamed tint before either. so don't know the best technique for that. have some IDS 35 I'm thinking of throwing on. was hoping someone here has done a similar job with good results and can shoot me in the right direction.

FG-Green.jpg

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also haven't done any decorative as of yet but thinking of possible a green deco across the top couple of feet of the windows and tinting the rest. not sure if I can do that becuase of differences in possible heat absorption. but the place is called green's and of course the roof and trim is green. just an idea as I'm seaming tint anyway.

nevermind on the deco. bad idea. need to tint it all.

What is the top to bottom dimension? If it is 72" of less, order 72" film. If you must seam, run the line horizontally across the top. Then overlap the film by about 1/4". This ties the sheets together and reduces the stress at the seam. It appears he dows not use his windows as display areas, so , you could go with reflective film. Many of the shops I have done, I have worked with them to also do window graphics at the same time. This will allow for greater reduction of heat and put more signage out for them.

Ive done similar size windows on a Papa Johns restaurant with IDS 35 and I just seemed it vertically since the height was 88 inches. Single pane with metal panes, facing southwest. Its been almost 2 years, no issues yet. When you do the seam, make sure you splice it. In other words, overlap the two pieces then have a 72 inch flat ruler and cut through both pieces of film on the glass then pull back the top piece and remove the cut bottom piece then you will be left with a perfect sliced seam and squeegie from top to bottom.

look at the window from the inside and decide where a horizontal seam would be least noticable(top or bottom). if its an area where customers sit then put it at the top because people will f@ck with the seam. I would match factory edges up instead of an overlap. or do the splice(but its more work).

Guest teamfutaba
look at the window from the inside and decide where a horizontal seam would be least noticable(top or bottom). if its an area where customers sit then put it at the top because people will f@ck with the seam. I would match factory edges up instead of an overlap. or do the splice(but its more work).

yep, match factory edges to reduce the color difference from one side to the other. I would do the overlap and butt seam. I.e. double cut them..

I tell the customer what their options are regarding the splice and let them decide. I try to get it out of the way as best I can, with a very thin overlap on factory edges. Butting edges doesn't work very well with big pieces of film, factory edges aren't precise enough and light gets thru (my personal experience) and light gets thru double cuts as well. Once again, explain it to the customer and let them decide.

Archived