GM going BK opinions?

zues I respect you, but if your family owns GM dealerships and are not concerned... well then I dont even know what to say. I have been attending a school with the largest dealership management program in the nation, we talk shop all day every day. If you seriously do not think a manufacturer posting a 15 BILLION dollar loss in one quarter is not something to be concerned about... well shoot I dont even know how you are able to read what I am writing.

This was supposed to be a little discussion, in hopes to let anyone who isnt following this know that things are serious. When I see a person with eight GM franchises telling me he is worried, more so than he has ever been in his 25 years with GM I listen. Hey its your call, but the old school dealers are losing their stores left and right. I visited Northern Cali this last week and saw two dealers in the process of shutting down, and Toyota is taking the property from one of them.

If you seriously do not think this is worth sweating... then dont bother posting in this thread jackass.

Just checked, GM stock has been downgraded to JUNK status... clearly the sign of a company that we dont need to worry about at all... seriously dude, get your head out the sand.

I dont know, my family has owned dealerships since the 40's. I have been told GM and FORD have big plans for the near future As far as a dealer closing it's doors it could be for any number of reasons. Toyota and Honda are hot markets right now....talk about hard dealerships to get. I heard Hyundai sales are through the roof. The automotive industry runs in cycles...just like anything else.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The goal is to get into large stores that carry all the brands, most importantly chevy/cadillac but for now it will be aimed at all of the brands. The life of a small dealer is over, large scale dealerships that carry all brands will be the future. This is in the works for both Chrysler and GM.

The day that Chryler got picked up be cerberus the fax machine at my friends house was going nuts with small dealers going up for sale across the nation because they know they are going to get squeezed out. If you dont carry all three (Dodge, Jeep and Chrysler) the chances of survival are slim, unless you are better than the other guys in town and you can pick up their franchises.

These are scary times.

The goal is to get into large stores that carry all the brands, most importantly chevy/cadillac but for now it will be aimed at all of the brands. The life of a small dealer is over, large scale dealerships that carry all brands will be the future. This is in the works for both Chrysler and GM.

The day that Chryler got picked up be cerberus the fax machine at my friends house was going nuts with small dealers going up for sale across the nation because they know they are going to get squeezed out. If you dont carry all three (Dodge, Jeep and Chrysler) the chances of survival are slim, unless you are better than the other guys in town and you can pick up their franchises.

These are scary times.

I guess it all depends on location and the type of market the dealer is in.....my family posted almost 2 Billion...with a B....in sales and revenue last year, that also includes service and parts. Thats huge. And thats not to say some models arent selling....but they are selling alot of product. They are one of the top 10 auto groups in the country.

I have standing offers to run service and or parts departments.....I will most likley end up at one of my familys dealers....I'v fought it my whole life.....your talkin long hours............ :beer My family ..another uncle ownes 5 dealers in New Mexico....I could run one of thoes....but I dont want to live in New Mexico. :beer What dealer management school do you attend?

:DD

Northwood University in Midland, Mi. They have two other campus' in Texas and Florida.

I'd say you guys will be fine, I'd guess you'll be asked to take over several smaller franchises over the next few years since you are the big dogs. Its the lil guys that are going away, the old school dealers who dont invest into their buildings or their infrastructure.

:beer

On another note, do what makes you happy mang. I've always called working for dealers "The Golden Handcuffs" lots of money and no time to spend it.

Northwood University in Midland, Mi. They have two other campus' in Texas and Florida.

I'd say you guys will be fine, I'd guess you'll be asked to take over several smaller franchises over the next few years since you are the big dogs. Its the lil guys that are going away, the old school dealers who dont invest into their buildings or their infrastructure.

:DD

On another note, do what makes you happy mang. I've always called working for dealers "The Golden Handcuffs" lots of money and no time to spend it.

Thats so funny ....I was offered Scion or Huyndai.......... :beer The dealers that cant upgrade thier buildings ...WILL lose. I have another uncle... :lol he is a big wig with Toyota corporate....his job is to inform toyota dealers that they have to upgrade thier buildings to toyota specs.....and if they cant or dont. There is 10 people waiting in line for that dealership....talk about a sweet job. And he got that job at a softball game......... :DD

:beer

WOW... a wife beater and a drunk shows his true colors.... is this why you don't work at one of your family's GM dealerships?????

Dude, your way better than this. Dont lower yourself to his level of play. Its not worth it.

We all know his true colors and the tru story. Let it go, he'll hang himself eventually. :trustme

Your to good a dude to fall in this trap.

And for that matter so are you five -o :rollin

If you guys are going to call someone a wife beater and a drunk, then demand I do something when they PM you about it, I don't know what to tell you other than to take it out side and leave me the HELL out of it!

Archived