Can't seem to get it right

I've been reading up here for the last few weeks, getting acquainted with the tools, terms, and methods as much as I can. I got 2 rolls of the non-metallic film from Global. Everyone says they shrink differently, but post after post after post, no one mentions HOW they shrink differently. Now this may be a mute point since this is my first car, however could someone clarify?

The car is a 96 Lincoln Towncar (mom's). I did the back glass (backglass?) first. It came out....ok... Took 2 tries to heat shrink it. Often times the film would stop shrinking and would not stick to the glass anymore (during the shrinking process). Now, I didn't heat it too much I think...It did not curl under LOW heat. I have the Black and Decker heat gun, seems the gun overheats itself on high... Whats better to shrink on: hi or low? But it just would not lay down all the way. After several tries I got all the fingers down and took it to the inside in one sheet. It laid down fairly well. However I don't see how you can position the film perfectly on the first try. Once it was touching the glass, it did NOT want to slide around. I tried to anchor it and got creases. A series of profanities ensued. Maybe I need to give the reverse roll a try, if I can ever figure that one out....but I don't see how it would avoid the problems I'm having when the adhesive hits the glass. Can anyone help please? Its frustrating to be using good tools, following good methods, and having it look like Walmart did it.

Here are some pictures:

4dcf8d78.jpg

a8d800e1.jpg

Now here is the small side window that came out near perfect, though it still took like 4 tries:

fe5f6d38.jpg

Next part. The rear side roll ups. I can't figure these out. I just ripped off attempt #11 in frustration because of zero progress. The last two times I realized I was not shrinking with the grain of the film...so now I am. Result: no difference. I make the first cut about 1/2" or so oversize. But how do I heat shrink the film to the edges if the film is resting on the frame on all sides? I'm shrinking up and down, but I can't get the fingers to be up and down only. I get a lot of horizontal ones and they will not smooth up to the top or bottom. The sides will not anchor if there is that 1/2" overlap...so what do you do??? I'm shrinking using a glove for the majority then a white hardcard.

This last attempt I purposefully cut it smaller that the window, just to see if I could shrink it right if there were no frames. And it worked. I got a couple very small creases, but it came out good. However, there are spots at the very edges that won't lay down all the way and I know in time will start to peel. Why is that? How can I get them to lay down? If I give it more heat, the edge will curl and be ruined.

Pics of this problem:

a4f06a9e.jpg

5056c77d.jpg

248bba07.jpg

570e30e8.jpg

09bd332b.jpg

dd232288.jpg

Last question for now... Applying the film to the inside. Once its separated and wet I put it on the window in the center and do the "+" sign anchor. Using a Blue Max, I press the film to the glass, and get creases everywhere!!! I know there is dust, and I don't care about that for the moment. How do you get it to lay down without creasing it?!?! I am more than a little frustrated right now.

46680e7b.jpg

ff7c60fd.jpg

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest 1PEECBARETTA

use more slip . Go slower, use a yello or red turbo for the first initial pass to get the film relaxed into position, then bluemax it. Hope this helps, and good luck.

also squeegee from center - out

Dood go find Stan. He's a member on here that runs a school in portland. Take his training or at least get his Dvds. From what I gathered from your post I think you saw a guy do it and now your trying it out yourself. Its not as easy as it looks. Huh? Remember we all have to start somewhere. Just keep plugging man

it takes a lot of practice. I didnt even leave a piece of tint on a car till I'd gone through probably a whole roll. This game aint easy, takes years to get it perfected. I'd suggest training with someone. I learned through TD and no training, luckily I was at a shop that had rolls upon rolls for me to play with. I read on here non stop I didnt really ask much cause its all here to read just search and read and read.

Dood go find Stan. He's a member on here that runs a school in portland. Take his training or at least get his Dvds. From what I gathered from your post I think you saw a guy do it and now your trying it out yourself. Its not as easy as it looks. Huh? Remember we all have to start somewhere. Just keep plugging man

well going to a school for it is not an option. Did you read the whole post? I've been reading here for weeks, watching every video I can find. I didn't go into this blind after watching 'some guy' do it. Never thought it would be easy, I knew it would be hard. But its hard to find genuine answers on this site.

well going to a school for it is not an option. Did you read the whole post? I've been reading here for weeks, watching every video I can find. I didn't go into this blind after watching 'some guy' do it. Never thought it would be easy, I knew it would be hard. But its hard to find genuine answers on this site.

Are you using a slip agent??? If you are then use more slip until you can work the film out......

I know I asked a lot of questions in the original post, and will take time to answer them all, but isn't that the point of the forum? I have seen these questions asked before and no one gave a better answer than just keep practicing. While practice makes perfect, you can't improve when you don't know what you are doing wrong.

I will give the yellow and/or red turbo a try. Thank you.

Can anyone else address the other questions I asked though?

Are you using a slip agent??? If you are then use more slip until you can work the film out......

Again, what is that? Right now I am wetting the glass, laying the film, horizontal anchor with the Blue Max. Can't anchor the sides for reasons posted in the first post.

Guest 1PEECBARETTA

slip is the amount of baby shampoo or other "soap" in your mix of water. use 2-3 table spoons of baby shampoo, johnson and johnsons, to a quart of water. That should help.

Archived