Can't seem to get it right

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

seriously if you didn't know what slip was then you really did not search for much on here. That is a topic that is beat to death on what slip everyone likes! If you think there is enough work to be going into tinting then your "friend" should understand it and help you out too. Are you working on hitting cars that he is not getting or ones that he would have been getting???

Oh and Global film shrinks just like any other film TO ME....I use the HP....don't see much difference, but I have been tinting since 1989 and been shrinking film and doing tinting full time for just over 9 years.

Well thought I'd post an update. After spending a lot of time (more) reading on hear, I've picked up a lot of tips. Some helped, some didn't. But I did learn a lot of the terms finally.

As for the slip agent, I was using Dawn. When I switched to baby shampoo, it got much easier. I had time to move the film around. As a result, I got less creases when applying it to the inside.

My biggest problem at the moment is creasing while heat shrinking. I do the wet shrinking. Gave my Camaro a try, and it went badly.... So I gave the drier sheet a try. It didnt' make any sense at first, but as I continued to work it and anchor with a horizontal swipe only then on the sides, it seemed to get easier. It is taking a while to shrink, but definately faster and better than the wet (at least on this back glass). The 'pocket' that seems common to camaros (4th gen) is giving me some enormous sweeping fingers. However I think I just need to work at it.

I spoke with Stan today and ordered his DVD set. Real cool guy btw. I think it will answer many of the other questions I've got right now.

As for the Lincoln....I haven't attempted it again yet. But after searching a bit, I now know how to safely remove the film from the back glass. :dunno

One step at a time....

Guest hummerdog

Same here......when I first got in touch with window film and try to tint my own car...wasted so much material(film) that I thoght never again....but didnt give up and kept fighting with it....PRACTISE !!!!PRACTISE!!! AND MORE PRACTISS .....after got Stans DVD's made my life easyer ...watched it every time before doing a car ....its been two years since then and still going back to dvd's .Had a chance to meet Stan in one of his seminars in Poland ,COOL MAN ..

If you are useing Global...I use baby powder on back glass ...dry shrink and install in one peace ,no prblema...try it same thing like dryer sheet just use baby powder..

Good luck !

You have a detailing business and want to add tinting to it ?

My thought is to hire a tinter to do the installs. At the time of hire he gets $X extra during slow times to teach you some of the techniqes to

installing film. Get a door from a wrecking yard to practice on, along with a back glass. You start the cutting and install, he or she then stops you when they see where you are going to have a problem.

Worth a shot at the least.

Guest accurate
You have a detailing business and want to add tinting to it ?

My thought is to hire a tinter to do the installs. At the time of hire he gets $X extra during slow times to teach you some of the techniqes to

installing film. Get a door from a wrecking yard to practice on, along with a back glass. You start the cutting and install, he or she then stops you when they see where you are going to have a problem.

Worth a shot at the least.

Hold on maybe I'm missing something.You say he should Hire a tinter to teach him then what? :dunno

Guest metro jim

IT looks like cooked film, if you are using global fine if not make sure its not auto store junk!

First keep your setting low as posible and hold the heat gun further away from the glass (you are pre heat shrinking on the outdie of the car yes) this may take longer but you have to get the feel for the shrinking. Also keep waving the gun as to not create as much heat in one spot. (these are just new guy tips)

use soap and or baby shampoo (I cant remember what works better with global films) about a capful of baby shampoo or 5 drops of joy.

if the film stops shrinking, its because you cooked it. lower heat father away move it around more ect.

do not rush the back window my first took a couple hours and about 4 peices to get perfection (though I did a lot of flat glass)

when you install it and there are finger bubbles just let them dry a little and push them down slowly if they look like they are gonna krinkle on you give it a zap with the heat gun .

if it goes down but keeps poping up use the heat on the out side of the glass to heat up the glass (keep the heat gun moving as not to heat up just one spot cracking the glass)

in the end practice makes perfect, so it may take some time. Having someone who know what there doing installing next to you can cut the learning curve.

good luck

PS where a hat it prevents you from pulling out your hair.

Archived