Why does this Industry attract so many thieves?

Guest Tintim

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lets face it, its not hard to spend some time writing a website - with what you feel are the main points about a topic.

if they hired someone to creat the website, the knowledgable people may not have given the webdesigners the info. if they googled window tint they would come up with TD for sure... probably found it that way.

its a possibility. still really lazy to not take some time to change it up.

anyways, im a part time webdesigner for amabssador mag and im given the info to put up... I have no idea who's writing it... usually contributors or our editors, but still. ya never know. :thumb

Guest lordofthetints

What´s happenning in the Uk right now is exactly what happened to the window film industry in Brazil about 5 years ago. Back then, there were about 4-5 (my family owened, and still owns a few)tint shops in my home town (about 250,00 people). But now, there are tint shops all over, they stole all our marketing strategy, they have used pretty much the same panphlets, only changing the company´s name, the worse part is that they have ridiculously lowered the prices. Take metallic film for instance, in 2003/2004 we used to charge 250 local currency(about 100 euro) for a hatch. Nowadays Im lucky when I can charge over 140.

Making along story short, we used to tint at least 10 cars each store (retail) a day, with "window film boom" that number decrease to a mere few cars a day for a few years, but eventually we are getting our costumers back, because they are willing to pay about 10 to 20 euro more for quality service. Today I usually tint 4-5 cars a day(retail), I don´t think we will ever get back to 2 digits a day again on regular basis, but we were one of the few companies that survived the openning of about 50 tint stores in a few years. That´s just a rough guess, I would not be surprised if this number is larger.

Before I forget, stealing info from the website isn´t the worst thing thats happend to us. I went on vacation a few years ago, to a town about 250 miles from where I live, and guess what I say through my window? A freaking tint shop with the same name as ours!!! So we sued them and put them out business.

Damn thieves!

Guest General Sun Shield
This happens in just about every trade skill type business, not just tinting. Take Mechanics, Air conditioning, Construction, and Audio/Alarm business' for example.

True, everyone around here has a lanscaping or painting biz.

My brother in law owns a landscaping biz and deals with retaining walls ,pavers and hardscapes.

3 new guys poped up this year. No cerrtification or biz lic.

Some of these walls they build could be dangerous if done incorrectly , but uninformed customers are always there.

Guest 1reddime

Its not really that hard to be a legit business. Heck, I work out of my garage. I'm legit!

I offer and honor the 3M limited lifetime warranty. (Ive done 2 warranty jobs already since I got my Dealer # and went on the books with 3M)

Every ride that leaves my shop gets a warranty card with my Dealer #.

I pay for extra home owners insurance, and extra auto insurance to cover me in ANY vehicle I am in!

I am going to do a LLC here soon if things keep getting better. Right now I just dont make enough on a monthly basis,to mess with it.

My wife works a real job and pays taxes, has the insurance, ETC.

Do I under cut some other tint shops? Yes. but not on purpose. I just have a really really low overhead. Example= 2004 honda accord 4 dr = limo rears/ 20% fronts and a visor =$220.00

All my flyers and cards are originals, No copying other peoples!

Its not that hard!

Guest vclimber
:thumb It's getting worse. Someone stole the SNAFU today! :thumb

:thumb

Nobody stole it. I just figured out why I couldn't see it. I was logged out at the time and when you are logged out, the icon does not show up. :thumb

Login and it is all good. :thumb

Guest Tintim
Hey tim

These undercutters have really got your goat to some tune.

Maybe offer a cheap alternative job...bad cuts, lots of trash in the film...do it all ...for £99.00

:evileye Yes mate they have - I've got some very good competition good tinters and its hard enough competing with them. To then lose business for 5 or 6 months to sub standard tinters who go in on price and promise same quality same film and then I see the work - light leaks, felt contamination down the edges. If your lucky you have a chance to get the work back but sometimes a dealership can go off tinting altogether.

You know what its like Nick once you are used to getting clean windows - you get a speck or two in the window and your starting again, personally I don't feel happy unless I've done a good job.

Guest naughtydog
Hey tim

These undercutters have really got your goat to some tune.

Maybe offer a cheap alternative job...bad cuts, lots of trash in the film...do it all ...for £99.00

:evileye Yes mate they have - I've got some very good competition good tinters and its hard enough competing with them. To then lose business for 5 or 6 months to sub standard tinters who go in on price and promise same quality same film and then I see the work - light leaks, felt contamination down the edges. If your lucky you have a chance to get the work back but sometimes a dealership can go off tinting altogether.

You know what its like Nick once you are used to getting clean windows - you get a speck or two in the window and your starting again, personally I don't feel happy unless I've done a good job.

yep...the job can send you round the bend!

Archived