Is it just me..?

Guest southerncustoms

True story: Several years ago in a town far far away (Lol!)...Seriously, we noticed a guy posting up on the Hwy off ramp with a "hungry sign" & asking for money daily. So during the course of my work week I headed out to pick up lunch one day & I decided to get extra to bring to him...

When I pulled up & offered him the food he didn't want it, but persisted to ask me for money! Insulted, I ask him why he had a sign saying he was hungy then? After mouthing off to me, I threw the box of food at him & called the cops from the shop...

A few days later it was on the local news about begging scams becoming an epidimic & they showed that guy who was arrested by the highway on there had not been employed for nearly two years, but had taken in between $50,000-$60,000 a year begging for money! The news station had done an undercover investigation into the guys background!

It sucks for the people out there in real need of help, but I suppose u give at ur own disgrestion?

I like to try & find sum kind of side job for them to at least earn my money that I have worked soooooo hard for...at least the ones who r genuine will be willing to work! Landscaping work...pulling weeds, etc...seems to work good!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest FIREMAN68

I was pumping gas once and a guy with a nice car with 22inch rims asked me for some money for gas so he can get to work. I told him to sell his rims and they guy walked away talking to himself. The guy next to me pumping gas started laughing and said I would of said the same thing. I got to work hard for my money and so should they.

O also try this next time when they ask you for some money turn around and them for some money their face is priceless!

I lived in Detroit for a lot of years. I've given my share of money. I can tell when somone really needs money. Im not saying everyone I given money to has used it for food or what they should have, I just know Ive been in there before. I heard somone say somthing about foodbanks or shelters. Come to Detroit in the winter and try and get a spot at a shelter! Good luck! Theres a lot of crackheads and such they prey off of the giving type of people. But theres also many that wouldnt eat without it. Just my opinon...

I lived in Detroit for a lot of years. I've given my share of money. I can tell when somone really needs money. Im not saying everyone I given money to has used it for food or what they should have, I just know Ive been in there before. I heard somone say somthing about foodbanks or shelters. Come to Detroit in the winter and try and get a spot at a shelter! Good luck! Theres a lot of crackheads and such they prey off of the giving type of people. But theres also many that wouldnt eat without it. Just my opinon...

Your line is correct........Theres a lot of crackheads and such they prey off of the giving type of people. But, you are one of the giving ones being preyed upon. The interesting part is you state you can tell when someone needs it???..... the gentleman who made millions doing it was said to 'look like he neede it too' by all of his victims!!!!! :tantrum

True story: Several years ago in a town far far away (Lol!)...Seriously, we noticed a guy posting up on the Hwy off ramp with a "hungry sign" & asking for money daily. So during the course of my work week I headed out to pick up lunch one day & I decided to get extra to bring to him...

When I pulled up & offered him the food he didn't want it, but persisted to ask me for money! Insulted, I ask him why he had a sign saying he was hungy then? After mouthing off to me, I threw the box of food at him & called the cops from the shop...

A few days later it was on the local news about begging scams becoming an epidimic & they showed that guy who was arrested by the highway on there had not been employed for nearly two years, but had taken in between $50,000-$60,000 a year begging for money! The news station had done an undercover investigation into the guys background!

It sucks for the people out there in real need of help, but I suppose u give at ur own disgrestion?

I like to try & find sum kind of side job for them to at least earn my money that I have worked soooooo hard for...at least the ones who r genuine will be willing to work! Landscaping work...pulling weeds, etc...seems to work good!

We had a guy here pulling the same scam. Sat on the exit ramp to the local mall with a sign that read 'WILL WORK FOR FOOD", but if you offered him work, he would decline and just ask for money. I watched a woman offer him a bag of food from McD's and he refused her, but wanted cash. To me, this is not enterprising. Enterprising would be to maybe go around and ask if peopl wanted the weeds pulled in their flower beds or offered to clean windows at businesses. This is looking for a hand out from the people who actually work for a living. Plain and simple. Nothing more!!!!!!

I feel bad for those that truly need. However, yesterday as I was going to the used parts store to get a part for my car. I saw a "homeless looking" woman asking for money, then 15 minutes later when I was returning home, I saw her on a cell phone. Sorry if you can afford a cell phone, you do not NEED money.

I have offered to get food for someone claiming to be hungry before and not once has anyone taken me up on it. If they need money for gas and are at a gas station I would tell them to pull up to the pump and I would put in a couple dollars for them. If they can't do that then I can't give away what I have earned. I don't like having to get proof from them but without it I feel scammed the couple times I have given.

Doing the right thing does not always mean giving away what they are asking for. Give what they need, not what they ask for. That is how I think about it.

Guest blackout1
Or have any of you guys dealt with beggers at the gas station..... :tantrum

Last week it was two different guys ...sayin they need gas. Each one wanted 2 dollars...I gave each a 5....2 dollars in gas wont do nothin...I told em ..get a gallon.

Saturday, I had a guy tell me he was hungry and thirsty...he wanted 3 dollars...I gave him 10 ...he looked bad. He got a nice sandwich and a blended V8, with a couple of bucks to spare. I stopped to buy some smokes.

Today, I had to fill up...I never go under a half a tank....Another guy comes up ..."can you spare 2 bucks...I need to get to work" he was a young kid, maybe 22-25 years old...but he looked into my eyes...he was for real....sooooooo I gave him 5 dollars. He was driving a new dodge truck..maybe an 05.. :tantrum I drive a 1000 dollar lump o :evileye

I have gave away 25.00 in the last week......anyone else dealing with this problem?

:tantrum

I had a girl come up to me in walmart parking lot asking for some gas money, she look like she was 13 y/o. I did not give her nothin because she look to young and there was not a gas station in sight.

Archived