shaving ended up in crooked edges of tint

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest cartek
hi,

what seems to be the problem when you end up with shaved windows having crooked edges? could it be the glass itself? I noticed that the glass edge is not so perfectly round. is it? or the window was shaved while still wet?

if it looks straight but seems wavy you are changing the angle of the file too much.

Guest 1reddime
file or blade?

Yep thats the question.

With either tool you used it sounds like it was wet still.

That chits gotta be pretty darn dry to shave smoothly...

hi,

what seems to be the problem when you end up with shaved windows having crooked edges? could it be the glass itself? I noticed that the glass edge is not so perfectly round. is it? or the window was shaved while still wet?

if it looks straight but seems wavy you are changing the angle of the file too much.

nope, its worse than that. I really get the jagged edges and some tearing of the film if bad luck really strikes.

Sounds like you either had a wrong angle on the blade to glass or you changed it while shaving...

I use the same thing to shave.... while the film is still wet... just keep practicing....

I don't know how dull my blade is.. but I have used the same blade for going on 2 years now...

How to shave the edges of roll-ups

Get yourself an X-acto knife

Put the film on as you usually do. W hen you position the film on the glass at the top edge, bump it up so it is past the top edge. About a 1/8 inch is enough. Now to start the process you need to remember 45 degree angles These angles are very important! Now take the blade and start at a 45 degree angle to glass. Then turn knife to a 45 degree angle. And then a 45. This gets confusing when trying to explain it so I will get pics. The cut is done on an upward stroke. I have never had one peel back on me yet. Give it a try it is really fast and looks great. When all angles are at the 45's and you are cutting you may need to adjust more or less angle for the depth of the cut. Less will give you a deeper cut. Hold the blade gently and use upward strokes. If you�re getting jagged edges adjust your angles a little but usually the 45's are about right.

This is the first 45 angle

This is the Second 45 angle

And the Third

Shaving is easy :rollin

Three angles with the exacto. 1. bottom of knife angled forward from blade about 20% 2. blade (#11) at a 45% angle 3. distance bottom of knife is from the window depends on each piece of glass and determines if you take to much or not enough (anchor a finger or your other hand to glass to keep this one the same). Left and right handed tinters shave opposite����.. I take a new blade and dull it on the edge of a stone, some tinters use a new blade all the time. Cut on up stroke and pull back on down stroke. All that said����.. What ever works best for you is the BEST! It�s just shaving is borderless and does not leave an edge for the film to catch on and cause problems. IMO only!

I got these tips from the posters above. I've attached a file for shaving.

post-24830-1218313277.jpg

Archived