shaving ended up in crooked edges of tint

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bill adjust the third angle by bringing the butt end of the knife out further from the window. Be sure and brace you hand with your other one so you keep this angle steady. Cut only with the up motion being carful not to cut on the down stroke.

Stan

to be honest, that is what I do not quite understand... the 3rd angle - am I dumb or what? :rollin

in the business for several years, its my first time shaving. in my country, tinting leaves a gap of around 1/4" from the edge of the window. that's too much. I like to start this trend here. just to make the shop known better.

good thing I did this to my 8 year old car. no worries for customers still. I'm doing my practices before I show it to my tinters. I guess I still have a long way to go.

The third angle is the distance the bottom of the knife is from the glass. If you are too low you will cut into the film to far down and get bad edges. When practicing try bringing the bottom of the knife out towards you more. You might leave a small amount to come back and get but this is better than taking too much.

Guest 1reddime
file or blade?

Yep thats the question.

With either tool you used it sounds like it was wet still.

That chits gotta be pretty darn dry to shave smoothly...

Thats how I was trained anyway. I only shave frameless windows though.

I will do the frameless ones first and then do the rest of the car hitting the frameless with heat whenever I walk by so It will be dry by the time I get done..

On regular roll ups I slip it up so there is 1/16"-1/8" of glass showing, No more than 1/8"!!

it seems I finally got the hang of shaving. I did it to my personal car. I had a minor glitch and made a cut a little bit deeper than the edge, revealing a little white light when struck. I knew the reasons...

1 - when shaving, you don't have to wait for the tint to be bone dry - I repeat NOT necessarily perfectly bone dry. you can immediately proceed with shaving IF and only IF, you have squeegeed off every little bit of slip you have. if you didn't, you will end up cutting a bit deeper even though you make the shaving right. it won't hurt sqeegeeing out a little more until no water pockets form on top. you don't even need to heat gun the edges.

2 - your slip should contain only the necessary amount of jj. the more jj you have, the more the glass has the tendency to move even if you have squeegeed it out. the lesser the jj content of slip, the better it is for shaving.

3 - cut using vertical strokes ONLY. this is one of my major mistakes before. I cut up and down.

4 - when surfing, be sure there are no bumps in glass. the moment you feel something sticking, withdraw the xacto #11 and cut again with vertical motion. when surfing permits, do it it'll save a lot of time. you'll know when its ready for surfing - its hard to explain, but you will know by feeling

5 - DON'T rush!

now I know how you feel when you guys say "it's harder to say than doing it" because it really is hard to explain. a better learning method of shaving is to watch the video, and PRACTICE! as for practicing, use your scrap films. don't let them go to waste. practice on them. I guarantee, if you learned to shave, you'll love it. its fun - I don't know, it may only be just my first time, but who knows.

I haven't taken pictures yet because the family went out and were back at night. I'll take a shot of my new shaving practice when permitted by time.

it seems I finally got the hang of shaving. I did it to my personal car. I had a minor glitch and made a cut a little bit deeper than the edge, revealing a little white light when struck. I knew the reasons...

1 - when shaving, you don't have to wait for the tint to be bone dry - I repeat NOT necessarily perfectly bone dry. you can immediately proceed with shaving IF and only IF, you have squeegeed off every little bit of slip you have. if you didn't, you will end up cutting a bit deeper even though you make the shaving right. it won't hurt sqeegeeing out a little more until no water pockets form on top. you don't even need to heat gun the edges.

2 - your slip should contain only the necessary amount of jj. the more jj you have, the more the glass has the tendency to move even if you have squeegeed it out. the lesser the jj content of slip, the better it is for shaving.

3 - cut using vertical strokes ONLY. this is one of my major mistakes before. I cut up and down.

4 - when surfing, be sure there are no bumps in glass. the moment you feel something sticking, withdraw the xacto #11 and cut again with vertical motion. when surfing permits, do it it'll save a lot of time. you'll know when its ready for surfing - its hard to explain, but you will know by feeling

5 - DON'T rush!

now I know how you feel when you guys say "it's harder to say than doing it" because it really is hard to explain. a better learning method of shaving is to watch the video, and PRACTICE! as for practicing, use your scrap films. don't let them go to waste. practice on them. I guarantee, if you learned to shave, you'll love it. its fun - I don't know, it may only be just my first time, but who knows.

I haven't taken pictures yet because the family went out and were back at night. I'll take a shot of my new shaving practice when permitted by time.

:thumb good for you :thumb

Guest FilmBlazer
I use the same thing to shave.... while the film is still wet... just keep practicing....

I don't know how dull my blade is.. but I have used the same blade for going on 2 years now...

to me, this is F@*ked up.

Yes indeeed, quite interesting hmmmm.

I use the same thing to shave.... while the film is still wet... just keep practicing....

I don't know how dull my blade is.. but I have used the same blade for going on 2 years now...

to me, this is F@*ked up.

How is that ??? The Xacto blade is still pretty sharp (glass makes a great sharpening device), I don't mean I shave before pushing out the water... but I don't give the film any special time to dry.... pretty much as soon as the water is pressed out it's shaved and then rolled up to finish installing bottom half....

How is that messed up ??

Guest tristan
You might leave a small amount to come back and get but this is better than taking too much.

just tell the grunt to get the film stretcher.... if they ask any ?'s just say I cut it twice and its still too short...

Archived