Hello, film advice (yes im a non pro)

Guest james#70

Guest james#70

Just want to say hi to everyone, im not a 'proffesional' tinter, but am very interested in it. And do respect the proffesionlas that do it for a living.

So far I have tinted mk1 renault clio, citroen saxo, vauxhall corsa, I can do all the side windows pretty good. Have not as of yet succesfully tinted a curved rear screen (I have tinted them, but not succesfull, have ended up with fingers). I am geting a curved rear window from a scrap car which im going to practise heat shrinking on.

I have bought my films from ebay, as dont know where else to get it from other than halfords, motor stores etc. I have used 2 different types of film, the 1st film I used I found really good, it was advertised as anti scratch/anti fade etc etc, but it feels nice to the touch, and feels quiete think, and to date on my front windows after going up and down they have not scratched and I am impressed with it.

The 2nd tint I used was again from ebay but from a different supplier, this film felt thin and nasty, even where being applied with the squegee and soapy water it scratched, I would like to stay away from this.

Im not in the know about films and dont no the difference between llumar, suntek etc. Could you recomend any film? and anywhere in England to buy film from.

As im trying to improve my shrinking will I need a heat gun, so far iv just been using a hair dryer so this is probably where iv been going wrong. Will any heat gun do, or is there specific things I need to look for?

cheers for any help/advice, James

Guest Sunlimited

Practice with the cheapest stuff you can get for a couple reasons, 1. You'll waste a whole lot of it, 2. If you can learn to use that stuff, when you buy llumar or suntek, it'll be a hundred times easier....Good Luck, practice, practice, practice...

Guest 1reddime
Practice with the cheapest stuff you can get for a couple reasons, 1. You'll waste a whole lot of it, 2. If you can learn to use that stuff, when you buy llumar or suntek, it'll be a hundred times easier....Good Luck, practice, practice, practice...

Yep! :thumb I went through a couple hundred feet of film before I got a good handle on it.

For sure get a nice lil heat gun they are necessary. I'm not on your side of the pond but I'm sure some limeys on here can help with where to source some better film.

(I am originally from England, moved here with my parents when I was 10 back in 1991)

you are at the right place to learn. don't let people get to you with ribbing, just seems the way new people are treated sometimes on message boards. You can learn lots using the search feature on the site.

Welcome to TD, the best place on the net for tinters.

Stan

aka Mr. Rogers

Guest james#70

cheers guys,

stan alot of your vidoes have helped, thankyou

You say to practise with the cheap stuff? its the heat shrinking part im trying to focus on at the moment, does the cheap stuff heat shrink the same?

Guest walestint

as far as I am aware my film distributor doesnt just sell to anyone

youre in a difficult situation coz the better films are easier to work with

as you know tinting a side saxo is a long way from tinting a bmw saloon 5 dr or a clio mk2 and getting paid for it

be prepared to get fupped off with it once you start to shrink hard screens, use soap method in my opinion for rears, read this forum also

they next challenge is clean installs, pulling panels and the old quarter windows on some

practice then keep asking questions as there will be loads

:dunno

PS - no photos of unused tool pouches and youll be fine on here! Place a wanted ad in the classifieds, there may be a load of tools going cheap somewhere on this forum :rollin

Archived