Film Handler portable base

Guest Dave Lewis

Guest Dave Lewis

DSC00788.jpg

I know a lot of you guys use a ladder to mount your film handler.

Being an old carpenter before I became a window tinter, I built my base out of 2x4's and 2x8's mounted on a furniture dolly. It took about 30 minutes and $40.00. It telescopes up to about 9' feet for those large windows and is much easier to move then dragging a ladder around. One man can load up a couple rolls of film, step ladder and water tank, stap it to the base and push it almost anywhere with ease. :rollin

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
DSC00788.jpg

I know a lot of you guys use a ladder to mount your film handler.

Being an old carpenter before I became a window tinter, I built my base out of 2x4's and 2x8's mounted on a furniture dolly. It took about 30 minutes and $40.00. It telescopes up to about 9' feet for those large windows and is much easier to move then dragging a ladder around. One man can load up a couple rolls of film, step ladder and water tank, stap it to the base and push it almost anywhere with ease. :cool

more pics would be nice, especially how you work the telescopic part, I have two of those dollies collecting dust :cool

Guest Dave Lewis
MMMMM looks good but appears to be top heavy. I would have built a bigger base. Good Job Though. looks functional!

Your right, although I never had it topple over even with 60" 8mill film on it and I have been using it for about 4 years now.

The dolly is 30 x 17 if I ever make another one I would makethe base 30 x 24. :cool

Guest Dave Lewis

DSC00745.jpg

DSC00748.jpg

Material list:

2- 2x8x8’

4-2x4x8’

Make sure they are very straight and not bowed or warped

3” screws

Cut 2x8’s and (2) 2x4’s to 55”

Cut the last (2) 2x4’s to 60”

Lay (1) 55” 2x4 flat on the ground

Set the 2x8’s on edge and screw into the flat 2x4

Screw the 60” 2x4’s together; I put a ½” piece of plywood in-between but not necessary

If you don’t use plywood you will need 2 1/5” screws.

Place the 60” 2x4’s on top of the 55” 2x4 in-between the 2x8’s

You will need spacers here you can use a few nickels placed on top of the telescoping 2x4’s.

Place the last 55” 2x4 onto the 60” 2x4’s and spacers (telescoping part)

Screw through the 2x8’s into the 55” 2x4

Screw a 30” 2x8 into the bottom of the2x4’s and 2x8’s (not the telescoping 2x4’s)

I would also use (4) 90 degree brackets for strength

Screw the post and base onto the dolly.

Screw a 5” 2x4 even with the top of the telescoping 2x4’s

Screw a 16” 2x8 on top of the telescoping 2x4’s

Attach film handler to telescoping top with quick clamps

You can use a bigger quick clamp to adjust the height of the FH or if you are using heavy safety film I would cut a 2x4 as a spacer and place it in-between the 5” 2x4 and post

If you don’t have a dolly you can make the base yourself.

I would suggest a 20” or 24” x 30” base instead of the 30” x 17” dolly I have :cool

:cool

Archived