Rookie Introduction

Guest MarioG

Guest MarioG

Hello everyone! Representing central TX...and BIG props to pro installers out there.

I'm very interested in tinting for a living; I've got some getting starting questions.

Ok, so I've got samples from 3M... 25' of FX HP, and 25' of FX Std. I also have samples from Suntek... 25' of HP and 25' of Std. I'm new to tinting, except for home windows.. I understand the general idea.

1. My partner wants to get a cutter/plotter.. is this the way to go for mobile tinting?

2. Do you still have to shrink pre-cut film? I'm guessing in some cases, but please give input..

3. I'm using the manual method first, to learn basic skills. I have alot of patience (stoner :cool ), and would call myself a perfectionist. I'm guessing these are ideal traits to posess?

4. I've picked up some tools locally, spray bottle, blades, squiege and towls, do I really need kits available online?

5. Are there any mobile tinters out there that use pre-cut film and what's your biggest problems?

Well, this is my intro, so give me a break OK? I will appreciate any feedback.

Peace

ps, if anyone needs audio equipment for a good price, check out MrBurgundysaudio.com

Guest Sunlimited

1. Dont show up to job smelling like a stoner

2.Learn how to tint auto proffessionally before you offer it

3. Your gonna need a lot more film to practice with than the samples you have.

Stick with the olfa knife, learn how to cut your patterns, shrink, and as many tips and tricks as possible. Check out Flat Rock Stan's videos, they'll help you out. You'll always have to shrink especially back glass whether its precut or not....practice,practice,practice :cool

welcome, computer cutter is ok for work, but if you are doing mobile then you will have to have it set up in a van or something if you really want to do it. I would suggest just learning to cut the film unless you plan to do dealers where you might be doing several of the same car over and over.....

get over being a perfectionist as this business will drive you crazy as there is no such thing as a PERFECT film install...not IMO at least. You will always have some sort of imperfections....it is an imperfect world after all.

Look at threads here as there are a few "tool list" discussions. There are many squeegees for different applications in auto tinting. Different knifes and other tools that you will need. I carry enough tools to basically disassemble the inside of a car.

Have fun and search around for more answers. Most of you questions you will find are answered already....

1. Dont show up to job smelling like a stoner

2.Learn how to tint auto proffessionally before you offer it

3. Your gonna need a lot more film to practice with than the samples you have.

Stick with the olfa knife, learn how to cut your patterns, shrink, and as many tips and tricks as possible. Check out Flat Rock Stan's videos, they'll help you out. You'll always have to shrink especially back glass whether its precut or not....practice,practice,practice :cool

Nice intro BTW... :cool

Keep practicing or you could also opt to go to a factory training program.

The cost is easily recouped and the certificate on your wall makes you look good to your customers... :cool:lol2

Guest MarioG

Wow, so I did my first vehicle yesterday! A friend of mine has an 88 ford p/u that had flaking tint. So I had to remove the old film (which was a biatch) and I used 3M FX-HP, which was fairly user friendly. The 2 side windows and push outs took me 4 hrs; I know, its a long time, but it was my first. Kinda opposite from loosing your virginity :thumb ... j/k. But anyways, I got my first film cut on my finger, and had to re-do one of the push outs because of my poor cutting skills.

Something I thought was wierd was passenger side window old adhesive was clear, and the driver side was red, and more messy. Any thoughts on that?

Guest robdgaf

if you want to do the plotter route you can cut them out at home/office and bring it to your mobile job.. just make sure you learn how to hand cut and bring a roll of film with you incase you mess up which you will.

Archived