PPF on boats

Has anyone done this? I fish alot and like to have a nice boat. I tint windows so I can have a nice boat. So, can PPF be applied to the bow of a boat to keep rock chips down? I have never played with PPF and this might be something I don't want to do, but it sounds like a good idea. Can the PPF be removed and decals not be affected? I think there is a market for this, but need some info before I get started.

Guest Sunlimited

I don't know much about the paint on a boat, is it the same type of clear coat as an auto? If so I dont see it being much of a problem. It probably would be a fairly easy job because there arent alot of curves....As far as decals being damaged, I would probably plan on buying new ones if you remove the film, just to be safe.....

The rocks are trailering the boat. He in this part of the country they do a "chip seal" which is laying down a layer of oil and then laying small chips of crushed rock. I destroyed my boat trailer two years ago with this stuff and the highway dept. wouldn't pay a dime to fix it. BTW, my boat is a bass boat. It is a Ranger Z520. They are 55 large new but I didn't pay close to that. :thumb

I don't know much about the paint on a boat, is it the same type of clear coat as an auto? If so I dont see it being much of a problem. It probably would be a fairly easy job because there arent alot of curves....As far as decals being damaged, I would probably plan on buying new ones if you remove the film, just to be safe.....

It won't be a problem on the boat finish, they are gel coated, not painted.

The gelcoat is a part of the manufacturing process when building the hull, it gets sprayed into the mold prior to the chop..

Guest rk_welsh

I work @ a MasterCraft boat dealership. we use PPF on almost all of our new boats. Mostly on the transom and swim platforms. It really helps protect the Gel from getting gouged up by skis and wakeboards.

We're also experimenting with some super thick, ithink 23 mil?. on the keel so the bottom doesn't get all scratched up when you beach um.

I work @ a MasterCraft boat dealership. we use PPF on almost all of our new boats. Mostly on the transom and swim platforms. It really helps protect the Gel from getting gouged up by skis and wakeboards.

We're also experimenting with some super thick, ithink 23 mil?. on the keel so the bottom doesn't get all scratched up when you beach um.

Got any pics?

Archived