What direction is our window tinting industry going in?

I was sat in the office at the end of another days tinting today and me and my biz partner were just disussing the way the window tinting business is going.

What does everyone think about it?

Are more and more new cars coming with factory privacy glass, meaning there is less automotive glass for us to tint or is it helping us that everyone wants their cars to look like they have factory glass?

I think the window tinting industry is becoming more widespread especially in residential and commercial sectors, where the environmental aspects of our products are becoming increasingly more important as everyone is trying to be seen as being 'green' and keep running costs down.

Or in the ever impending recession making our 'luxury' product less desired?

What do you guys think?

:lol2

Guest Sunlimited

I think the industry will go where we bring it. As proffessional tinters, we can educate consumers as to the UV reduction, the energy savings, safety or security, as well as aesthetics....We will always have the custy that wants the $99 auto job, or the 1.99 psf flat glass, but eventually more and more people will be "educated" in the benefits of film.....All in all I think we are at the beginning of something very big due to the recent "green" movement, and as pro's we can weed out the "Hack Installs" which hurt our business.... :lol2

I think the industry will go where we bring it. As proffessional tinters, we can educate consumers as to the UV reduction, the energy savings, safety or security, as well as aesthetics....We will always have the custy that wants the $99 auto job, or the 1.99 psf flat glass, but eventually more and more people will be "educated" in the benefits of film.....All in all I think we are at the beginning of something very big due to the recent "green" movement, and as pro's we can weed out the "Hack Installs" which hurt our business.... :lol2

I second that!! :lol2:thumb:lol2

the problem with this industry is the competition in the business. I have to admit, tinting is not a tough skill to learn and the initial capital for putting up this business is not that much compared to other services in the automotive industry.

as long as there is glass to tint, there is business. as for the quantity of clients, that is the big question.

<br />the problem with this industry is the competition in the business. I have to admit, tinting is not a tough skill to learn and the initial capital for putting up this business is not that much compared to other services in the automotive industry.<br /><br />as long as there is glass to tint, there is business. as for the quantity of clients, that is the big question.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I disagree. I don't think competition really matters if you know how to sell. 10 new tint shops can open up tomorrow in my zip code and I'll still feed the family tinting windows. out advertising is the only I think can hurt you. if your competitor is everywhere and you're not matching or beating the frequency of being seen, then that could be a problem. otherwise, its a matter of strategy and skill in the sales department. also tinting is not as easy as some may think. I thought it was going to be easy too. I tinted a few reg cab trucks and storm doors 10 years ago. so when I started back into this last january, I thought it was going to be easy. but, when I learned how to do it the right way, I realized this job can teach patience. of course, if you're not a shop owner and only an employee, it can seem a bit easier. otherwise, starting out and starting the biz can be crazy. the amount of film I ripped off and threw in the can when I was learning, and how long it took me to tint the first several cars, and figuring out all the ins and outs of the crazy little things... start - up can be inexpensive to other businesses I agree. but, with anything, if you know how to sell it, you can make crazy money. low overhead and high profit margins. that's what any biz owner is looking for and this is an industry where you can make that happen. I'm not worried about where the industry might be going. if you're good at what you do, it won't matter. when the custy's stop rollin in, just go get em. it is that simple.

Archived