Removing OLD madico

Guest NEVRL8

Guest NEVRL8

I have 225 french panes with 16 yr old Madico. The windows are over 100 yrs old and it is a historical building so I am somewhat concerned about using chemicals. It is open to the public while I am working also. Any way. I tinted 66 window in 2 hrs.Then I went to remove old film on the rest of the job and have broken several windows. I have taken off cdf easier than this. I am averaging 4 windows a hour. HELP. How can I get it off quickly?

I had luck with a trick once. Try getting a wallpaper scoring tool. Looks like a round (approx 4-5 inches) knob with a black base. It has a few wheels under it that when you roll it around, creates little scores or pin pricks in the surface. Then, I took goof off or goo gone and wiped it over the surface (they also have a spray version) and let it soak in. After a bit, the adhesive began to release. I would do 5 to 10 at a time, let em soak, as I scored a few more, then went back and removed them. Be careful with the tool, so not to scratch the glass. You can also, score it with an Olfa and let the liquid work in.

Good Luck!

Guest VOLTRON

with glass that old it is going to be difficult not to break them trying to get the film off. Weather u power scrape them or scrape at all the pressure might break them and using heat aswell might break them I would say use a automotive scraper with the 2 inch 1 sided blade and use that to remove.

Guest windowpimp

was speaking to an old boss tonite,,, he has used a product called Tint Off.... not sure where to get it...those windows must be real thin , eh.. :thumb

Guest NEVRL8

They now want me to bag it with a cleaner not straight ammonia. Everything I have read says straight ammonia or simply green. Has anyone done it with a ammonia based cleaner and had good results?

Guest FilmBlazer

I would have bid it at one million dollars and then let my comp have it for 3.50 :nuts

Seriously though, the wallpaper tool sounds like a good idea. I would give that a whirl with some adhesive remover solvent, simple green or ammonia.

Good luck.

Guest NEVRL8

UPDATE. They terminated the contract and are going to send it out for rebid. Said to send them a bill for a starting point to negotiate it. This will be interesting as I have all the film cut and it is high performance.

Archived