windshield shrinking

Guest DustinJ

Guest DustinJ

ive heard you cant use a heat gun on the front windshield so does anyone have any suggestions on shrinking the film? I know everyone likes to stay legal but this is for a trailered show car. thanks.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yup I did the same thing, put some 50 on the ws in hopes that it would slow down the crack. The crack was caused by the mirror shacking from too much from the bass. :twocents I would never do it for a custy car too much liability. If its really for a show car then just shrink it like a back glass only difference is dont let any heat transfer through. When you feel it gets warm on the inside move to another spot.

Guest filmslayer

The heat abs. of film may intice cracking if one is already present...Take some scrap film ,peel liner and use like tape to cove def. vents ,if water gets down in the vent it will sour and it's next to impossable to get rid of smell...

oh yeah.... heres how you tint a front windshield....

spray everything down with slip

car, shoes, floor

turn on heat gun and lay it in the puddle

when your crispy hack self wakes up

consider yourself enlightened

jeez.... :rollin

Guest thatsnappyguy

I have cracked on ws and it was mine, a lonnng time ago. the only reason it happend is b/c I I was applying heat to the outside to get a small crease out. thats before I knew better. now, I just do it as if it is a rear glass. thers really no difference in the way I do it. of course u have to cut the mirror out. tell the customer that u are not responsible for any wiring shorts due to the water gettin behind the dash. I never had a problem with shorts or any problems, and I honestly I dont hold back on the volume of water I use...ever.

and tint being placed on glass to stop a crack is the most retarded thing I have ever heard of....lol. plate glass is very weak when it come to heat. tint absorbs heats, so can only make things worse. laminated glass is 2 plates glued together.

when heating the film on the front glass, try to avoid wet shrinking b/c that method needs more heat in concentrated areas to shrink the film. always dry shrink, unless its really flat like a ford ranger,f-150. ect....

Yup I did the same thing, put some 50 on the ws in hopes that it would slow down the crack.

why would you think that applying a film would slow down the crack? films absorb heat. it'll speed up the cracking.

Archived