windshield shrinking

Guest DustinJ

I have cracked on ws and it was mine, a lonnng time ago. the only reason it happend is b/c I I was applying heat to the outside to get a small crease out. thats before I knew better. now, I just do it as if it is a rear glass. thers really no difference in the way I do it. of course u have to cut the mirror out. tell the customer that u are not responsible for any wiring shorts due to the water gettin behind the dash. I never had a problem with shorts or any problems, and I honestly I dont hold back on the volume of water I use...ever.

and tint being placed on glass to stop a crack is the most retarded thing I have ever heard of....lol. plate glass is very weak when it come to heat. tint absorbs heats, so can only make things worse. laminated glass is 2 plates glued together.

when heating the film on the front glass, try to avoid wet shrinking b/c that method needs more heat in concentrated areas to shrink the film. always dry shrink, unless its really flat like a ford ranger,f-150. ect....

My glass was cracked on the inside layer of glass. I figured if I sealed it off with film then it would cracked slower. Which it did for awhile until I said screw it I'm still gonna bump it and it crack all the way from mirror to upper left side still mostly inside the factory tinted visor and has stop since. I've been to lazy to replace it figuring it might happen again anyways.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest DustinJ

thanks for all the info and it's for a good friend so I'm not really worried. but I had 18% all the way around and 35% on the windshield and I could actuall see better than just having all the others tinted. I also had a friend that had 5% all the way around with 18% on the windshield and you could see as clear as if it wasn't tinted. looks really good too but it is !llegal

Guest tintec

over here alot of young guys get 20 inch sunstrips on their cars,!llegal YES,but ive never heard of windsheild cracking with heat,I have worse luck its taking rearview mirrors off that scare me :rollin

Guest lordofthetints

I have seen a friend cracking one, in my opinion it was caused by overheating, I have done lots and lots of WS, and never had a problem.(around here about 20% of people tint their WS)

I have cracked on ws and it was mine, a lonnng time ago. the only reason it happend is b/c I I was applying heat to the outside to get a small crease out.

yup, I can relate to that... that's how I cracked mine :rollin

I never had a problem with shorts or any problems, and I honestly I dont hold back on the volume of water I use...ever.

if the wirings/harness are well insulated and bound, there' won't be problems of shorting. I also don't hold back the slip when spraying. just a quick note, you are not hosing slip or pouring in in the dash, so I don't think you'll encounter shorting circuits; however, its also good to note or have a waiver for the customer to sign for them to know that you are not responsible for any damage to wirings, etc... before you know it, the slip is already dry because the heat coming from the engine bay is transmitted through the firewall, hot enough to dry the slip, but not hot enough to be felt in the cabin.

OMG!!!

Are you guys serious, I'd think about learning a little more about the different types of glass B4 you touch anything else...

NEVER heard of lami glass "exploding", nor, have I ever heard so many people that are supposed to know how to tint, blow so muchbullshit out of theirass...

You guys need to get your learn on B4 you touch anyone elses vehicle... I mean seriously.... :rollin:

Guest kflemin9

they sell a kit at the auto parts store for like 4 bucks that stops cracks from spreading.. if thats too expensive use superglue or silicone caulk!!

Guest kflemin9
Yup I did the same thing, put some 50 on the ws in hopes that it would slow down the crack. The crack was caused by the mirror shacking from too much from the bass. :rollin I would never do it for a custy car too much liability. If its really for a show car then just shrink it like a back glass only difference is dont let any heat transfer through. When you feel it gets warm on the inside move to another spot.

:rollin ya sure the further cracking wasnt do to greater differences in temp from inside to outside?? .:rollin your right its probally your incredible sound system!! :rollin:

OMG!!!

Are you guys serious, I'd think about learning a little more about the different types of glass B4 you touch anything else...

NEVER heard of lami glass "exploding", nor, have I ever heard so many people that are supposed to know how to tint, blow so muchbullshit out of theirass...

You guys need to get your learn on B4 you touch anyone elses vehicle... I mean seriously.... :eyebrows:

:evilgrin

Archived