Guest carlostinting

Guest carlostinting

Hello all, I'm new to tinting and looking to tint my own and 1st car in the AM. I have read books seen videos etc.. and think I can do this. I know it's not as easy as it looks but I am the type of person that when I set my mind in doing something I have pretty much always mastered it. My question is how long will it be before I can actually start tinting cars for extra cash?

Guest carlostinting
What kind of car do you have, (#1), and (#2) how much time do you have to practice a trade that is practiced by many/mastered by few?

06 chevy aveo and 3 to 4 times a week; however, not many other cars but maybe 3 or 4 from family members.

Before you even think about picking up an Olfa go down to the Horror stories section and read EVERY post and take notes. Then you go get a first aid kit with lots of gauze and the largest size Superglue you can get. It really helps put the pieces back where they were before.

Guest carlostinting
Before you even think about picking up an Olfa go down to the Horror stories section and read EVERY post and take notes. Then you go get a first aid kit with lots of gauze and the largest size Superglue you can get. It really helps put the pieces back where they were before.

Why do you guys make it sound like it's the impossible to window tint? I am sure certain individuals will never be capable of tinting as also having any type of mechanical skills but others do. I think that an olfa blade is the least of my concerns and with adequate practice I am more than sure I can be as good as the average Joe out there. I have been a motorcycle mechanic for 13 years now and I learned what I know about bikes not buy going to school nor working in a shop. I actually picked up books, videos and actually started by working on my own bikes and going out and doing maintenance work here and there and little by little getting deeper into the trade the hard way which I personally think it's the best and only way to learn things. I would like to tint for extra income and just think that I can succeed as I have with motorcycles. I have been lurking around on this site for some time and I see allot of members making comments as if this is the impossible trade to learn. I live in Florida and there is basically a tint shop in every corner making $$$$$ so think about it, really how hard can it be compared to many other trades including my field?

Its not just about reading, its all about practice. Yes its totally doable just takes time. Compare it to painting, its a lot of trial and error and working on little tricks to get the cleanest work possible. The mechanical background helps but its not just grabbing a manual and turnin wrenches.

Could I tune the 4 carbs on a bike perfectley from just reading on a forum for a little bit? I dont think so, I might get it to run okay but a pro would have it runnin so sweet and right away. I could be at it all weekend.

Not hatin at all, just being realistic.

Also, if there are shops on every corner why even enter the market? Seems oversaturated. I'd be tworkin on bikes for cashmoney. :rollin

Guest coolrides

hey man, you will pick a lot up from this forum, you can ask some of the best for suggestions where you goin wrong. I learnt a lot off here but as a rule use a good quality film for shrinking, keep cool at all times, and keep practicing

good luck

My previous post in this thread wasn't meant as a put down in any way. You stated you were a newbie that read books and watched some videos. I'm just suggesting that you have a look at the HS section for some quick education in what not to do. Or as I teach my kids.... to learn from others mistakes. The books and videos don't even come close to what having the tools in your hand and getting the "feel" of things can teach. As others said "keep at it". You can tint and redo your car all day if you want and have the cash for supplies ( search "Protard" for a laugh ) Be a shame to kill a back glass,slip on a liner and bash in your braincase, tear a mirror off,get an Olfa in the forearm, ... the list is long but you did say you can read......

Guest Tintim
Hello all, I'm new to tinting and looking to tint my own and 1st car in the AM. I have read books seen videos etc.. and think I can do this. I know it's not as easy as it looks but I am the type of person that when I set my mind in doing something I have pretty much always mastered it. My question is how long will it be before I can actually start tinting cars for extra cash?

Hi Carlos

Some very easy cars can be mastered quite quickly. Don't know the american car market but say a Toyota pick up , pretty easy to do so you could charge for them after a few weeks. I'd say after a year if you persist you are able to tint most cars with confidence. But be aware that you will always come across cars that throw you and take a lot longer to complete.

To call yourself a professional you need to be able to tint anything so you have to put yourself through the hard ,difficult jobs. I still get customers coming to me who have been sent by other tint companies - who can't do the job. This is the difference and I guess why some tinters get pissed off - so many call themselves professional yet do not have the skills or attention to detail. It really is an art that requires a lot of patience - I've seen very clever people kick tool boxes across the floor and throw heat guns at the wall just because they could not get it.

If you have the will you'll get the skill - then you'll find on some days to get through, the "will" has to be greater then the skill. :lock

good luck

Archived