Guest carlostinting

theres a couple things about this forum I seemed to have learned really quickly.

the first and biggest thing is... dont come on here saying anything about how hard tinting is... even if your referring to how it is "harder than it looks."

second... any trade can be learned... its a trade. whether your good or not is a different story. so dont sit on here and say, "I think I can do this." remember, trades are learned.

third... dont ask stupid generalized questions. ask something specific. if your talking about shrinking a back glass, then say, "im having trouble with this back glass. im anchoring the film (position) and the top is laying down great, but im having trouble in the corners." thats a legit question because it shows that you've put forth some effort before coming here and asking. in any situation, people are more inclined to help people out who have a specific question about how to do something.

my advice is to buy some cheap ebay film, take a lot of your time, and learn. youll waste a bunch of film, but aveo's are gravy cars especially the hatch. so take it on, headfirst (you said your motivated), and come back after youve tried it a bunch. write down your questions and rattle them off.

im not hatin' but you have to realize that your post is a common one, and one that isnt received well by skilled tradesmen... especially tinters.

Good luck. :thumb

icon_feednoob.gif

Guest carlostinting

I really appreciate everyone's comments and will surely take each and everyone's advice in good faith, and I thank you all.

Well, I started at 8am this morning and it took me exactly two hours to get the front passenger window tinted and had to call it quits because of the rain. Boy was it a pain in the ass but after 3 wasted pieces of film I got it looking pretty good the 4th time. I have all the proper tools and probably more than I really need. The main part I had an issue was when I made my cuts on the two side's from bottom to top and when I rolled the window down about 2 inches down two make the top window cut the film on the sides would cringe with the side window seals. What can I do to prevent this from happening? Or is this what's suppose to happen?

Please help.

Thanks

if im understanding your question correctly, you are having a problem getting the film to not bind when you cut the vertical cuts on the window? use a china marker or silver sharpie or something to mark the edge of the glass. then take it off and cut it on the back window or a big piece of glass if you can. some guys can cut it straight on the car, but myself, I have trouble doing that. also, make sure the not leave any sharp corners. round all corners. a couple hours for your first window isnt bad. good luck! get some pics if you can.

I really appreciate everyone's comments and will surely take each and everyone's advice in good faith, and I thank you all.

Well, I started at 8am this morning and it took me exactly two hours to get the front passenger window tinted and had to call it quits because of the rain. Boy was it a pain in the ass but after 3 wasted pieces of film I got it looking pretty good the 4th time. I have all the proper tools and probably more than I really need. The main part I had an issue was when I made my cuts on the two side's from bottom to top and when I rolled the window down about 2 inches down two make the top window cut the film on the sides would cringe with the side window seals. What can I do to prevent this from happening? Or is this what's suppose to happen?

Please help.

Thanks

when the the cringe take place? during cutting or installation (squeegeeing out slip).

if it happens during cutting, keep you olfa sharp. use ss steel blades. don't cut the pattern on the window. mark your end points and use a cutting glass and a straightedge. for the glass curvature. use the middle of the olfa and glide the blade on the glass with just the enough pressure to cut through. don't push too hard or film might crumple even if its super sharp (this happens usually for thin films). in summary keep your olfa sharp!

do you shrink side glasses? some just heat it up to a curl before removing the liner and laying the film on the glass. others pop out little fingers and wet shrink it on the outside. just take note that some side glasses do not require any shrinking at all, but it won't hurt heating it up to a curl.

if it happens during installation, you might have cut too much excess film to hide behind the rubber strips. just keep the excess small. 5mm is enough I guess. if your rubber gasket is too tight, have a tool pull it out of the way first before you insert the sheet. what slip are you using? if its really hot your place, try adding a little bit more j&j if that's what you use. work in a shaded area away from the sun but with enough lighting of course.

Please help.

Thanks

I think your not leaving enough film on the sides if its getting caught by the rubbers. when installed you will see the side cuts. not what you want. hope you are not using auto parts store tint it could get expensive. go to one of those buytint websites get a cheap roll and go from there. I should know I learned with llumar atr and 90% self thought no td back then. ALOHA

Archived