Tint Laws

Guest SusieQ

Guest SusieQ

Can anyone tell me how to tell what type & % is already on a vehicle? Is there a code somewhere when it is suppose to be factory? Vehicle was purchased in Conneticut is now in Texas and soon to be in Hawaii. It is my sons and he is in the Navy. Are military laws on tinting any different than the State of residency. Thanks for help in this matter. SusieQ

There are meters that can tell you the % VLT tint on a window, if your son visits a reputable shop they should be able to meter it for him.

Whatever state the car is registered in should be the state laws that he follows from what I have been told. If I am wrong someone will chime in and correct me.

From my understanding 5-0 is right. Abide by the laws of the state it is registered in. I was told by an officer that in CA, if the car is in the state for more than 30 days, the officer can pull you over for !llegal tint even though it is registered in another state. I dont know how true that is honestly. I'm just going by what the officer said.

Guest tint phantom

some military laws are diffrent than state laws on tinting. some bases dont alow tinted vehicles on base for security reasons. check with the base first seems to be the safest way. :thumb

Guest clint4883

it also matters what state the drivers license is issued in from what I was told. if the vehicle is in his name and he gets a hawaii dl than he can be ticketed for the tint. I know most military people don't change dl when they move to another state.

I know that sounds stupid but that's the way it was in ruston, louisiana when I lived there.

Guest Key West
some military laws are diffrent than state laws on tinting. some bases dont alow tinted vehicles on base for security reasons. check with the base first seems to be the safest way. :lol6

Alot of bases have laws that supercede civilian laws when it comes to matters of security.

it also matters what state the drivers license is issued in from what I was told. if the vehicle is in his name and he gets a hawaii dl than he can be ticketed for the tint. I know most military people don't change dl when they move to another state.

I know that sounds stupid but that's the way it was in ruston, louisiana when I lived there.

Active Duty Military personell are generally exempt from the whole "30 days and you're a resident" thing. They can keep thier DL's and home state registration. There are at LEAST 2 states that think they can ticket anyone. regardless of the registration (Va and Ga). The reason they get away with it? Nobody challenges it. They pay the fines rather than go thru the expense and hassle of hiring an attorney and going to court.

Archived