"Bullet resistant" window film

Guest Mitch

Guest Bulldog Direct

It is impossible for any type of "Window Film" to offer any Ballistic Protection at all . Window film resists forced entry and prolonged attack from hammers, hatchets, baseball bats, sledge hammers pick ax, etc.,. and is good at doing this.

Bulletproof Glass is a colloquial term for glass that is particularly resistant to being penetrated when struck by bullets. However there is no such thing as "BulletProof". The correct term is "Bullet Resistant". True Bullet Resistant Glass is made by laminating multiple layers of glass bonded together with high adhesion bonding interlayers of polyvinyl butyral, polyurethane or ethylene-vinyl acetate. This process is done under heat and pressure in an autoclave. Bullet Resistant Glass is then tested to specific ballistic threats as set by the National Institute of Justice [ N.I.J.] and Underwriters Laboratories [ U.L.] threat levels. And are independently tested by a certified ballistic testing laboratory. The most recognized is H.P. White Laboratories Inc., or University of Dayton Research Institute.

"Real" Bullet Resistant Glass can offer protection from small caliber handguns such as .22, 9mm, .44 Magnum up to a .50 caliber armor piercing rifle rounds . The thickness of Bullet Resistant Glass can be from .825" thick to over 5" thick and weigh anywhere from 8.89 lbs per sq. ft. to over 50 lbs per sq. ft. False claims by Window Film Manufacturers can get people killed. Check with any Bullet Resistant Glass Manufacturer to independently verify this statement. I have not seen any Window Film Manufacturers ever provide any ballistic test reports certifying their claims.

Window Film and Bomb Blasts: Some Window Film Manufacturers also make ridiculous claims that their product will stop bomb blast over pressure and flying fragments from penetrating their film. With regards to "Blast Mitigation" this is a highly specialized area of protection. U.S. Military and Government Contractors such as Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, Los Alamos National Laboratory, Pine Bluff Military Arsenal, U.S. Army Aviation & Missile Command, Redstone Arsenal, and Ballelle Memorial Institute are working to design protective systems to counter such threats. Window Film is not a proper solution for such a massive threat.

One company called "Glass Strengthening Systems" has made an absolutely ridiculous claim that they did a "private test" using 1400 pounds of explosives, and that their "Film" stopped any penetration at 184 feet. I wonder if they had a failure at 185 feet. First, one must wonder how in the world Glass Strengthening Systems could legally obtain 1400 pounds of explosives, let alone detonate them with out proper sanctioning from ATF. Why was this done as a "Private" un sanctioned test. Professionally speaking any "REAL" tests of this manor would be carried out under very strict protocol, under supervision of the U.S. Government, and independently tested by a certified ballistic testing lab. Where is the test data, and certification ?

Bulldog Direct Protective Systems Inc.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Suncs

we have done testing as well over here with a 9 mil and a cab door. We put 4 layers of 8 mil on that window. So were talkin 32mil on one glass. we took it out to the desert shot it. Annd..............

The bullet went thru but it definetly slowed down while breaking thru the film and glass.

Sorry, my friend, but proof is proof and words are just that. I've seen Leos tests. And as he says, still would'nt recommend it. As I stated before, as fragile this area of our industry is, making claims can lead the uneducated consumer down the wrong path. Should someone miss the information that it MUST be mounted on 1/2" glass and have film installed on 1/4" double pane could have catastropic consequences. And, there have been test done that have failed, along with those that have passed. The liability that could be incurred in this area becomes too great when human lives are involved. IMHO

That's why I don't feel any sympathy with Mr. Fabian or their like who claim loudly they can achieve bullet resistance with "their" security film, there are many factors that have to be considered to make such a claim. At the end of the day, I don't need any official proof because every case is different and requires a different combination of film to achieve the clients requirements. What is more important for me than any official paper is that I can sleep good at night after an installation that required ballistic resistance! As a matter of fact, our installation stopped bullets in real live on several occasions already!!

Not all 9mm bullets are the same. Just like, let`s say, a 3 series BMW. A 318 is not the same as a M3, RIGHT!! A normal 9mm lead bullet will be stopped by 1/2" glass + 12-15mil film, that's a fact! A 9mm FMJ bullet won't be stopped by this combination. We stop 9mm FMJ bullets on 8mm glass (0.31 inch), that's a fact also!!

Not everybody has to deal with THIS

banesco-2.jpg

Our clients are glad that we do take our business serious

banesco-3.jpg

We have lost many huge jobs just because some other fools offer 8mil film as bullet resistant. Also, people have been killed down here because somebody installed them 8mil and their car and said it's bullet proof!!

Now these pictures are very interesting. If this was from any small caliber waepon, it would make sense that high up and at the angles they would have fired from that just about any film would have stopped it. Of course I would like to see you stand behind anything you trust when I pull out the .45acp and double tap. I am certain anything behing the window on the second round would get knocked over. Has anyone noticed that many cops have given up on the 9mm? All they tend to do is make someone who is all cracked up more angry.

Guest Bulldog Direct

I think Balxyone makes a good point and is on the right track. Bullet Resistant Glass and not window film with 1/2" of glass, is made by laminating multiple layers of glass bonded together with high adhesion bonding interlayers of polyvinyl butyral, polyurethane or ethylene-vinyl acetate. Any company that manufactures and or sells it will have had their products tested to specific ballistic threats as set by the National Institute of Justice [ N.I.J.] and Underwriters Laboratories [ U.L.] threat levels. The multiple layers of glass and the bonding interlayers is what makes the Bullet Resistant Glass take repeated hits with no penitration penetration.

Ballistic testing is a set protocol with a certain number of shots at a specified shot spacing, the speed and weight of each round is measured and listed on the test report. Window film and 1/2"- 1" of glass is not Bullet Resistant Glass and would not pass any N.I.J. or U.L. testing. Please see the following link that lists world wide ballistic testing standards: http://www.closefocusresearch.com/summary-all-standards

Now these pictures are very interesting. If this was from any small caliber waepon, it would make sense that high up and at the angles they would have fired from that just about any film would have stopped it.
:lol2 Not even worth to respond to this one!
we have done testing as well over here with a 9 mil and a cab door. We put 4 layers of 8 mil on that window. So were talkin 32mil on one glass. we took it out to the desert shot it. Annd..............

The bullet went thru but it definetly slowed down while breaking thru the film and glass.

We have done testing with 100mil film on automotive glass, 9mm FMJ bullet went through with significant reduced speed, but it went through! 32mil does virtually nothing on a normal vehicle glass, it defenitely does not reduce enough to spare somebodys life!

Well since you are laughing so hard, you must know a lot more about ballistics than the rest of us huh. I was just looking at it from what little evidence there was available from the pictures. Looking out the windows there is not an available building to have used as a better vantage point so these most likely were from the street, even across the hwy we are talking about a greater than 45 degree angle. Now looking at the size of the cars, this was not exactly some where on the first 5 floors. I would say it was greater than 10. Since there was a good distance and in an upwards spray, I would assume there was a good deal of velocity lost before the projectiles even hit the window since there are not very many small caliber weapons that are packe with a really heavy grain count. I would also make the assumption from the pattern that it was some forn of auto rifle with the shooter using short blasts. If you look at some of the higher strike points, you can even see the elongation of the strike point with glass dust that would lead me to believe that most of the rounds actully ricocheted off the glass, so yes, all the film did is act to hold the shards of glass in place. :twocents:lol2:lol2:lol2:lol2

BTW, I did work the streets as a paramedic in a big city that does have a lot of violence, and got pretty good at calling the caliber of weapon used since we did have a lot of shootings to deal with.

Archived