Is it just me?

Guest KEDman

Guest KEDman

I hope that it is not just me. I have read many post on here about people getting tired of their high paying corp. jobs and wanting to work for themselves so they say FU and just open their own tint shop with basically no exp. what so ever, and that was 10 years ago or so and now they have a great biz of their own. Well here I am working for "The Man", and have been for years. I have put in the hard work to learn the trade and the business, yet never getting to the point to have enough money to say FU and open my own shop. Thats the prob with working as a tinter for someone else you never make the money nor do you move up in the biz, its either open you own or move on to something else. So maybe its just my own frustration of being tired of waiting for my opportunity to come along. So I say again, is it just me?

Guest GDK Electronics
I hope that it is not just me. I have read many post on here about people getting tired of their high paying corp. jobs and wanting to work for themselves so they say FU and just open their own tint shop with basically no exp. what so ever, and that was 10 years ago or so and now they have a great biz of their own. Well here I am working for "The Man", and have been for years. I have put in the hard work to learn the trade and the business, yet never getting to the point to have enough money to say FU and open my own shop. Thats the prob with working as a tinter for someone else you never make the money nor do you move up in the biz, its either open you own or move on to something else. So maybe its just my own frustration of being tired of waiting for my opportunity to come along. So I say again, is it just me?

It's the catch 22 of needing money to make money. If it weren't for me getting a big fat severence package from the corporate job I never would have been able to get my business off the ground. It's something I wanted to do for years but could never afford.

The best advice I can give you is hang in there, suddenly one day the opportunity will come up and you'll be able to hop on it. I waited over 15 years, just to give you an idea. While you're waiting plan it all out, roll it through your head over and over and keep up with changes in the industry. I didn't do that enough and got surprised by a few things shortly after opening up.

do work on the side (set up shop in your garage, there are plenty of guys on here that do that) get the side business going till you have enough business to get a shop. Or you could look into a partner, like I was reading a post from a guy that owned a auto customizing shop, find someone like that in your area and do it together. Other tint shops, if your in a big area would want more than one shop, they might help like a franchise. jst some ideas. what are you working with now? :spit

No risk no reward. It takes big chances to pull things off, but there are large risks involved and luck. Life is short, do what you gotta do, thats why I will try to stay single for a while. If I fail its just me an my dog, thats easy to manage... kids and a wife to look out for.. the risks just got way bigger.

Guest filmslayer
No risk no reward. It takes big chances to pull things off, but there are large risks involved and luck. Life is short, do what you gotta do, thats why I will try to stay single for a while. If I fail its just me an my dog, thats easy to manage... kids and a wife to look out for.. the risks just got way bigger.

Great way to look at it 5-0,I have the same attitude,but FYI I'm 40 and still single ...

You want to do it? sacrifices have to be made. Save money, not going out to dinner, buying the latest whatever, drive a piece of crap for a bit, give up car payments. Save every penny. Start small and build from there.

but, as STan said, be careful what you wish for. The headaches are phenominal working for ones self. To dream is great, but to do it, is rarely ever a dream. Alot of the time it can seem like a nightmare. Right now you sre guaranteed a paycheck. Working for yourself, the bills have to get paid first, along with higher taxes, THEN you get yours. Sometimes, that can be NOTHING, $00.00. When many who dream actually get into it, they realize they might have been better off staying where they were. If you're not making much tinting where you are, look around. Maybe another employer can pay better. Flat glass guys make more than auto in most areas. Look into it. I got a call yesterday from an installer who works for my competition, one of the big guys around here. Said they only had him working 2 days a week for a couple. Looking for more work, so, I brought himm on for a couple days. Not a bad worker, will use him when I can

Guest KEDman

I do side work from time to time, but not much mainly cause I work 9-6 mon-fri. Not much free time to do much side work. I do have a wife and kid to worry about so it makes things harder. Hopefully this spring I will be able to just get out there and do it. You say there are major headaches when working for yourself but isn't there major rewards too, to know that you are your own boss. I would just think the rewards would out weigh the headaches or else why would anyone ever do it.

I was let go from my former employer after 5 years, it was in september of 07. coincidentaly some friends were opening up a performance shop around the same time. ive been workin out of their shop since then. in the begining it was rough. slow season but the couple of dealers I picked up helped get through the winter. only reason I made it was b/c I have 0 overhead. still single with no kids and I didnt know if I was even gonna keep tinting after I lost my job. I started with 3 40" rolls of suntek hp. I dont think u really have to open your own tint shop to work for yourself. most of my customers come from word of mouth, and theres a been more and more walk-ins every month. workin on having my own shop in the rear of their bldg. my free time now is spent ripping old electric and plumbing lines. just needs paint and lights. so business has been well when almost a year ago it wasnt. good things come to those who wait but it might not be until things are at their worst. :rollin

I do side work from time to time, but not much mainly cause I work 9-6 mon-fri. Not much free time to do much side work. I do have a wife and kid to worry about so it makes things harder. Hopefully this spring I will be able to just get out there and do it. You say there are major headaches when working for yourself but isn't there major rewards too, to know that you are your own boss. I would just think the rewards would out weigh the headaches or else why would anyone ever do it.

You have to be able to weather extreme highs and lows. One day you'll make bank like you would never believe, next week you could bust a piece on a car or a whole car and lose tons right there on the spot. Its a challenge, some of us I think are masochists and we enjoy the struggle. Yes it can pay off but it aint easy, there is a reason the owner makes the most. They have all the responsibility and if the shop fails its all on their shoulders.

Yes its worth it in my opinion.

Archived