Finishing a basement - ideas??

I would definately address any leak issues before you start putting any time money into it Roach ! if there isn't one, put in a sump pit and pump a REAL PITA but worth it weight in gold if ever needed. Carpet is nice but in a basement? Let me tell ya about getting wet carpet out of a basement :lol2 my choice would be a hard surface, paint, vinyl tile, concrete stain can really look nice too. Get some throw or area rugs for places that you use a lot. not as nice on bare feet but practical if something does leak, like the washer ? be sure to use a vapor barrier on the walls if you plan on wallboard, paneling etc. if you paint it use a vapor retardant type paint. The ceilings kind of depend on how flat (or level) the existing framing is and how much stuff (wires, pipes, ductwork etc.) you have to work around.The "adjustable" columns would lead me to believe they were added to increase or replace the the original supports ? if the framing is flat enough 1/4" luan is relatively inexpensive, quick and easy, looks good battened and painted. Lil D's idea with fabric has a lot of promise too it would certainly be easy to do and allow some leeway with obstructions. Good Luck with your project :thumb

we just did a "ceiling" in our family room in the basement.....now keep in mind that ours is only about 78 inches high so a drop ceiling would not do... We got some $1 a yard material from Walmart and used thumb tacks to attach it. It actually looks better than I had thought it would and it was so much cheaper than I would have dreamed... 60" wide and $1 per yard for it....that covers a lot for a little....

anyway....one "cheap" upgrade idea....paint for the walls would be my second thought.

I have seen that done before and its true...it looks really good considering how you would think it would look. another way of doing that is having rods run across and slightly draping the material over them, instead of the tacks. I have seen it done that way too and it looks good. Either way, a very inexpensive way to get a ceiling that is still very accessible. :lol2

(I tried to find a pic of what I am talking about but this was the closest thing I could find)

ceiling.jpg

(reason for edit:pic added)

Guest tintmanlibby
I am probably going to move into a new place... and the basement needs to be finished. Ideally, I'd like my bedroom & office to be down there... my office on the right, bedroom on the left.. or the opposite.

I'm not going to have a lot of money, but I'm hoping there is something I can do to make it better... At some point I'll probably get carpet put in, but the floor isn't a huge concern just yet.

Anyone have any ideas?

basement-left.JPG

basement-right.JPG

l_446065d5ff990df6d54b7ccc88c009c1.gif you already got poll's run with it :shock

Hope you can get some ideas. 1 tip: dont paint it the same color as ur fav. sports team or else they will suck! Like the Yankees!

:dunno

Thanks for the pics of what you did... I haven't started yet.. I went to Home Depot on tuesday to get some ideas of what I wanna do... I'll probably start in a couple weeks and work on it over the winter as funding allows.

Archived