Major flat glass issue guys

Hi guys, hope you are all busy!

We are trying to land a big local job.

Its a elevated walk way about 150 metres long with 800 hundred windows in, so obviously we want to make sure we have all our information right before we go ahead with a quote.

The sides of the walk way is 8.8 mil laminated glass.

We have been advised that installing an internal film on laminated glass will come at a risk of the glass breaking. But another one of our suppliers says that there is no risk installing film internally on lamined glass.

Obviously, we dont want to install a film that is going to cause 800 panes of glass to crack and cost us thousands.

What advice can you guys give us as we are stuck at this point on what to do.

DSC02478.jpg

DSC02479.jpg

DSC02480.jpg

Thanks

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

all of my suppliers have always told me that installing on laminated glass hold too great a risk not just of breaking, but of the lamination breaking down from the heat absorbed. THis has come from Madico, and others. If you have a manufacturer who is willing to put it in writing to you and the customer that they will warranty the glass, I'd say go ahead. If not, the end result may be much more costly than the income from the job....This is not just a couple of panes, but 800, way too much to have to replace..... :drevil

Just remember, all of us out here can advise you in any way, but you have todeal with the end results.........................

Guest vclimber

What film are you proposing?

My advice... You need to consult your MFG about this. They would have to give you the thumbs up which means you would have a warranty... maybe. :drevil

My advice... You need to consult your MFG about this. They would have to give you the thumbs up which means you would have a warranty... maybe. :thumb

Definitely check with the manufacturer. Some will tell you it's a no go on laminated. I've installed 20 silver on laminated and wired glass before with no issues but it wasnt a job that size and the cost of replacement would have been very small. No issues yet and it's been sitting in direct sunlight with 115+ degree summers for a couple years now. :drevil

Guest vclimber

My advice... You need to consult your MFG about this. They would have to give you the thumbs up which means you would have a warranty... maybe. :drevil

We are looking at using a Silver 20 or something similar.

You want your MFG to back you on the warranty. Call em before you bid it.

Guest vclimber
How do the majority of the warranties work?

If all the windows start cracking and need replacing who picks up the bill??

I'm not sure how they work in the UK but in the states the MFG will cover glass breakage up to a certain dollar amount per pane on select products for a specified amount of time.

There is actually a sevice platform on rails that runs along both sides of the walkway so external application is defintitely an option.

Would this be a better option than an internal installation in terms of the chance of the glass cracking or the laminate failing?

Archived