Who invented window tint

Guest baltimoretint

Guest baltimoretint

To anyone who really knows the answer to this question , I was having a debate a while ago and my friend was saying it was 3m , I dont think that it was , any input please ? Serious anwsers please.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest vclimber

Look closely at the patent on you will see that 3M did not invent window film but rather the process for coating metal to film substrate. I believe it is referred too as “Transparent and Reflecting Articles." They do not claim to have invented window film, this is a rumor perpetuated by a lot of the dealer base. Here is a quote from 3M's website "In fact, not only did 3M issue the very first patent on 3M™ Window Film in 1966, but today we're still the only manufacturer that produces our own raw materials such as polyesters, adhesives, metals and scratch-resistant coatings." Does it say that they invented window film? :thumb

Here is a quote from a PR: 3M, a world leader in window film technology and holder of the first window film patent, offers a full range of window films that reduce the amount of heat and ultraviolet rays entering the home.

Invented by 3M :drevil

Archived